LoS VS Aelfs

Dracothjay

Hi guys! Got a game on Monday against pansy aelfs. As for what variant of Aelf list my opponent is bringing I do not know, but if it’s highborn he’ll spam his Phoenix guard combo, if not then it might me DoK.

Heres my list:

LoS

Arkhan - general - spectral grasp or vile transference

prince vohdrai - amethystine pinions 

necro - wristbands of black and gold - overhwelming dread

necro - azyrbane standard- fading vigour

cairn wraith

5 dire wolves

5 dire wolves

mortis engine

40 skeletons spear and shield

6 spirit host

lords of sacrament battallion

so my plan is to have a large footprint with spirit host and skeletons. Spread them out and cover a vast area to prevent my enemy to charge me from gaps in my frontage.

heros and mortis engine to provide healing and a strong magic phase.

prince vohdrai to be the HAMMER he is!!

help me out guys. What do you think might be better spell selection for Arkhan?

Personally, I'm not a fan of Spectral Grasp, it seems cool in theory but I find that it is too situational. Imo Soul Harvest is a better choice as a 9" Soul Harvest can do a lot of damage if placed well and the healing is great. Between Transference, Harvest, Feaster of Souls, and Mortis Engine, your opponent pretty much needs to 1 shot Arkhan or he will be back to near full wounds. Plus the MW Generation of Harvest + Transference + Curse of Years is actually pretty formidable. 

Another option you might find good is drop the Cairn Wraith in favor of a corpse cart with the Lodestone. Since your army is putting out 8 spells per turn that additional +1 to cast bubble actually increases your throughput quite a bit. Also Locus of Undeath is great too for keeping that tarpit alive.  (+3 to cast (LoS, Mortis Engine, Lodestone) makes a difficulty 7 spell over 90% chance to succeed and Arkhan as +5 to cast is guaranteed to cast everything)

Imo you probably wont get much mileage out of the azyrbane standard. If your Necromancer is close enough for it to do anything then you are probably doing something wrong. Imo, against elves and all their shooting, you are much better off with Shroud of Darkness. 

Yeah I totally agree about shrouding darkness. Everyone gets +1 to their save in the shooting phase from the ME within 6” anyway so combined with shroud it’s a great pic.

does Arkhan pick 1 or 2 additional spells from either lores? It’s just one isn’t it? If so I’ll pick soul harvest or vile transference.

1 minute ago, Dracothjay said:

Yeah I totally agree about shrouding darkness. Everyone gets +1 to their save in the shooting phase from the ME within 6” anyway so combined with shroud it’s a great pic.

does Arkhan pick 1 or 2 additional spells from either lores? It’s just one isn’t it? If so I’ll pick soul harvest or vile transference.

Oh, right, he only gets to pick 1, thats my bad. I'd then go with Transference on Prince and Harvest on Arkhan.

Archived