Army for hobbyist

Rule of cool, my dude. No one in this thread is going to be able to tell you the perfect army for you. I think beards and fancy hats are awesome. Some people might like pimples and guts. Everyone loves naked dwarves. 

If all else fails, just choose a grand Alliance and start working on all your favorite models. Eventually you'll have an army. Probably am army of naked dwarves. 

I ve started painting around 10 years ago and it was mostly Tzeentch stuff all along). You can use anything even on the same models , any color, any combination, any technique, endless conversion possibilities. Metallic flesh, fleshy metal, monochrome, lsd-trip coloring - whatever, anything goes, anything is lore-accurate. And its one of the top tier competitive armies on top of that. 

I would probably say Daughters of Khaine.

You have pretty cool models that require quite a bit of skill to look great : Melusai, Khinerai, Morathi.
Plus the variety of colour schemes you can pull off is almost limitless !

Another way to think about it is : What army do I feel like converting in a fun, interesting way.
If you like the hobby more than you like to play, then just go full crazy !
I remember seeing that guy's army who made his KO into Sky Grots. This is definitely the way to go, because you'll end up having a lot of fun and a very unique army.

I would say, from a straight painting perspective free peoples are still at the top of the list. All those double color ruffles, plumes, faces, etc is an exercise in skill and patience. It also easily allows you to build small ally bands with stormcast, sylvaneth, wanderers because they are so flexible in the narrative. Any reason can be made up to ally with another force and it'll almost always work.

I have no idea how they perform in tournaments, but they always do extremely well at events in my area. Plus, manaan blades are fantastic models. 

The terrain options become endless too. If I had to choose, I'd go with them.

Archived