Tzeentch StD/Daemons 1000 points

Prometheo567

Hi! I just wanted to share my recient experiences with Chaos. I am returning to the game because a gamer friend of mine has picked up this whole miniatures thing and he purchased half a starter set (the golden half), so I'm trying to teach him the rules.

Our first game war a 500 skirmish-like game with some tzeentch daemons (20 pinkies, 3 screamers, 1 herald on disk) for me and some golden boys for him. He enjoyed it immensely and got hooked up. Just as planned! Just bare basic rules.

This weekend we had a second game with a bit more nuance: 1000 points, alliance abilities, 120x120 table, full spell rules, etc. This is the army I went with:

Allegiance: Tzeentch
Leaders
Daemon Prince (160)
- General
- Sword
- Trait: Incorporeal Form 
- Artefact: Phantasmal Weapons 
- Mark of Chaos: Tzeentch
Chaos Sorcerer Lord (160)
- Runestaff
- Lore of Fate: Bolt of Tzeentch

Battleline
10 x Chaos Warriors (180)
- Hand Weapon & Shield
- Hand Weapon & Shield

Units
5 x Chaos Knights (160)
- Chaos Glaives
1 x Burning Chariots Of Tzeentch (160)

Total: 1000 / 1000
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 74

The games were very funny. Won one, lost one. The list isn't competitive at all, of course, but it is funny to play. I intended it to be a hammer&anvil thing, but of course it didn't go so well given the null wounds output of the knights. Oh, how the mighty have fallen. The Burning Chariot was clearly the MVP of the game and I felt a bit bad using it against a newbie. The sorcerer lord was interesting (given that it has two unique spells apart from shield and bolt) but for the same cost I would have taken a second Prince tbh. About the Prince, I'd say he was incredibly useful and the whole flying thing cannot be overstated. Finally, I constantly forgot to use the Fate Dice at the beginning/middle of the first game and seriously it can be one of the most overpowered abilities in the game.

Any hint on how to make it more competitive? I was thinking on ditching the Sorcerer for a second Prince or a disk herald. Also, the knights need to go out and get either Screamers or Flamers instead. Maybe I'm going overboard with the warriors? I LOVE how solid they are and have always played Chaos like that since 5th edition.

Thank you for reading :)

Minus the chariot (I used a mounted Lord instead) that looks like my original list from last year when I took up the game... it is fun, but man can it bounce. ?

My current list is a skewed magic list:

Lord of Change 

Gaunt Summoner with familiars 

Sorcerer Lord on Manticore 

3 x 10 Marauders 

5 Warriors 

Balewind 

I honestly gave up on the sorcerer lord; for 40pts more, the manticore is miles better in my opinion. Also double casters... Tzeentch has access to 4, plus another 2 that can potentially cast twice, and all but the big bird are cheaper than the sorcerer... I have plans to optimise this list by dropping the Lord and replacing him with a herald maybe, as well as taking just 2 x 10 marauders and 30-40 brimstone horrors (because who doesn't love 60-80 low quality shooting attacks... ?)

That sounds sensible! As long as I can keep away from silly goatmen and marauders (sorry, I really loathe the minis) I am a happy camper.

Gaunt Summoner sounds funny. The clampack mini has no familiars right? That's the one on Silver Tower I am guessing. Probably I should be adding Lord of Change or some other wizard heroes.

BTW, are Flamers worth it? I love the minis and have like 7 around, and I have the idea of using them to shoot an advancing army and later retreating by bouncing (fly move) behind warrior blocks. Is that doable at all? Something like

Leaders
Daemon Prince (160)
- Sword
Lord Of Change (300)
- General
- Trait: Incorporeal Form 
- Artefact: Phantasmal Weapons 
- Lore of Change: Fold Reality

Battleline
- Hand Weapon & Shield
- Hand Weapon & Shield
10 x Pink Horrors Of Tzeentch (120)
- Lore of Change: Bolt of Tzeentch

Units
1 x Chaos Chariots (80)
- Greatblades
3 x Flamers Of Tzeentch (180)
3 x Screamers Of Tzeentch (120)

Total: 1480 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 100

(Yeah, maybe the Chaos Chariot is trash but I am attached to that old ugly metal model)

I kitbashed my gaunts from the 2 Geminae Superia that come with saint celestine from 40k (which i converted into a daemon prince), so made one a disc, and bought some familiars off ebay for the other.

Remember your daemon prince is a wizard as well. ?

Flamers are super fragile, but I've heard of a list that does well with them in my local meta.

And yeah, I really hate the marauders too, but they are super points efficient. ?

Well, not exactly what I have available in my collection but I guess I can try to scrap something. Maybe something from Reaper? These familiars look a bit on the silly side so I guess they can fit (as long as I don't try to go to a GW event, ofc).

My DP did better than I expected by sniping with Bolt of Change (after all, every wizard in a DoT army gets a free spell right?) I guess on vanilla StD he is kinda bland with only the two basic spells. Actually, I reserved my 6-showing Fate die to oneshot that pesky Neave and it went just as planned.

Do you have any details on that flamer list? Can I expect to plug 3 or 6 in a list and get them working (with warriors tanking and roadblocking) or shoul i tweak the whole army for them? I really want to make them work.

Again, thank you for your comments.

I think it was basically a herald on burning chariot as his general, so chariots were battleline. After that it was nothing but chariots and flamers... From what I was told, at 1k the guy was putting out 12+ mortal wounds each turn, just from the capricious warpflame ability... Tabled his opponent turn 2.

If you have the models though, the best thing to do is play and tweak.

I don't know if I can get that 12 MW stat but I am guessing it went like this 

Leaders
Herald Of Tzeentch On Burning Chariot (200)
- General
- Staff of Change
- Trait: Magical Supremacy 
- Lore of Change: Bolt of Tzeentch

Battleline

Units
1 x Exalted Flamers of Tzeentch (120)

Total: 1000 / 1000