IronBark wargrove Duridan

Sennyo

OK having read the new sylvaneth book, and liking pretty much every bit of it, i decided my army was going to focus on one of the wargroves. Why i am torn between the gnalwood (the heavy magic one) and the branchwraith/ dryad one, i have found the ironbark to be really interesting. My only question is if you decided to take the duridan units with it what units would you take?

1 hour ago, Nixon said:

I would like to help, but Im totally fresh Sylvaneth player myself. So Im not totally sure that I understand your question?

In the new Sylvaneth book one of the new things added is flexible super battalions, called Wargroves. They consist of a set battalion, then you can add other battalions and units pretty freely.

One of the Wargroves is the Ironbark, who get some bravery buffs, improved close combat for tree-revenants and a unique Artefact. In addition their Household battalions have an additional tree-revenant unit, and within the aegis of the Wargrove they can include up to 2 Duardin units (i.e. units with the key word Duardin). The reason this is interesting is, based on a response from GW, because the battalion is Sylvaneth, you can take the Duardin unit and still claim Sylvaneth alliance.

To answer OPs question though my response is really it depends. Play some games, see what the Sylvaneth play like, see what you feel is lacking and then add Duardin units that help cover for that weakness. Some non-exhaustive thoughts though:

• Field an Ironweld air wing. Sylvaneth are manoeuvrable but not fast, and don't have access to cheap shooting units. Gyrocopters or gyrobombers are fast, have good shooting and actually bring some mortal wounds, while also being comparatively tough.
  • Dwarf rangers with shields. Bring a bit more shooting, and good survivability for their points on the defense.

• Cannons...

• Grimwrath Berzerker. Close combat monsters and tough, all in an infantry unit which is not otherwise available to Sylvaneth.

• Runesmiter + Auric Hearthguard for shooting + teleportation

I feel the following are probably poor choices:

• Hammerers. If you want a close combat hammer unit then Kurnoth Hunters bring more pain, are tougher, are faster, and are cheaper.
  • Longbeards. All their buffs work best with other units around to feed off them, but you can only field one other so....
  • Buff characters. You will not have enough other Dispossessed units to buff to make them a better choice than a Sylvaneth equivalent.

Personally I am going to build a pure Ironbark army (once the online store I have a voucher for gets some stock...) and hold off until the rumoured Steamhead Duardin release in September. Once they are out I will be able to use a variety of units and see what works best.

Archived