2K Nef/Monster Mash LoB List

themortalgod

Currently working on an iteration of my new undead army that I think will be pretty fun to play.

Legion of Blood:

Neferata - General, Overwhelming Dread - 400pts

VLoZD - Orb of Enchantment, Amaranthine Orb, Shield, Lance - 440pts

5 Dire Wolves - 60pts

5 Dire Wolves - 60pts

10 Skeletons - 80pts

2 Morghast Harbingers - Swords - 220pts

5 Blood Knights - 260pts

Terrorgheist - 300pts

Mortis Engine - 180pts

The overall idea is to stack up the LD debuffs to maximize the damage caused by the Terrorgheist and Mortis Engine while using the rest of the fast-moving, and hard-hitting monsters to slam into enemy units and hopefully inspire plenty of models to run. ;) 

Skeletons are in the list to babysit any backline objectives or to fan out and deny deep strikes.

Mortis Engine's Reliquary should be able to do quite a bit of healing if I position well and use it at the right time. 

Orb of Enchantment on the Vampire Lord means it can go toe to toe with super powerful heroes like Archaon, Gordrak, etc who are looking to charge and obliterate whatever they hit. 

Overwhelming dread on Nef coupled with her command ability should keep her alive in combat pretty well, though shooting or MW magic spam is still a big threat. 

The original draft of the list had a necromancer but I found he is just too slow so gets left behind. (Why Necromancers can't ride horses is beyond me... I have 2 or 3 old mounted necromancer models from GW...) 

Blood Knights, while not super optimal are pretty thematic in the list so I quite like them. Though may consider swapping them out for a couple units of Black Knights if I find they don't perform well as Black Knights would give me more banner coverage and better pts efficiency. 

I feel like the 3D6 charge on Harbingers likely outpaces the 5+ MW save that Arcai would bring. Torn on swords vs halberds. The -2 rend is nice, but this list brings plenty of tools to deal with heavy armor, I figure more attacks can help crush horde units if I run into them. Also more dice = less variance. ;) Though I haven't ever played with Morghasts so would love to hear opinions. ;) 

Harbinger over Archai seems right. Need those Morghasts to keep up with all the fast behemoths.

Spirit Halberds are still probably better overall, but swords will help clear hordes better, yes.

Those halberds take a lot of 4+ save models into 6+ or the 5+ save (common on Fyreslayers, Tzangors, etc.) into no save.

At that point you often end up with 6-9 damage they can't even save.

Halberds also give you more options when choosing targets because of 2" reach. sometimes you can charge their chaff wall and kill their hero right behind it.

You can also place the moghasts behind the skeletons and your opponent can charge the skeletons but the morghasts get to swing back without getting hit.

Enough about Morghasts...

You should consider what the play is going to be vs. mobile armies than can teleport into your backline and take your objective.

They aren't gonna care about 10 skeletons and most of your units are better when deathballed or on the charge.

Dropping the Blood Knights and switching to 40 skeletons is one direction. Could trade the knights for spirit hosts that pop out of gravesite for offensive/defensive options.

Good luck.

3 hours ago, Bradifer said:

Harbinger over Archai seems right. Need those Morghasts to keep up with all the fast behemoths.

Spirit Halberds are still probably better overall, but swords will help clear hordes better, yes.

Those halberds take a lot of 4+ save models into 6+ or the 5+ save (common on Fyreslayers, Tzangors, etc.) into no save.

At that point you often end up with 6-9 damage they can't even save.

Halberds also give you more options when choosing targets because of 2" reach. sometimes you can charge their chaff wall and kill their hero right behind it.

You can also place the moghasts behind the skeletons and your opponent can charge the skeletons but the morghasts get to swing back without getting hit.

Enough about Morghasts...

You should consider what the play is going to be vs. mobile armies than can teleport into your backline and take your objective.

They aren't gonna care about 10 skeletons and most of your units are better when deathballed or on the charge.

Dropping the Blood Knights and switching to 40 skeletons is one direction. Could trade the knights for spirit hosts that pop out of gravesite for offensive/defensive options.

Good luck.

Didn't consider the 2 Reach, yeah that settles it!

Hmm, thats a good point about backline, though I could see leaving one of the monsters back a bit in games like that. I'm trying to avoid running any horde units because I already have two undead armies that are horde focused and I kinda am tired of pushing around big units every game hahah. ;) 

Was thinking about spirit hosts. Maybe dropping the knights for 1 unit of spirit hosts and 1 unit of black knights? Unsure, I don't want to lose the banner aura otherwise I'd do a unit of hexwraiths.

Archived