starting a mixed duardin army - first 1000pts

MightyOwl

I am looking for my next project for AOS! I loved the feel of the old fantasy dwarves - heavy army, grudges, grumbling and stubbornness.  I have also really come round to the overlords, having originally hated them.  I am looking to build an initial 1000pt force that is not total rubbish, and shouldnt cost too much money to build up over 3/4 months.  I am not expecting a super competitive force but thats ok.

I am looking for advice from you more experienced folks.  what units/purchases would you guys recommend? I was thinking the overlords battleforce is a sensible place to start? And after the first 1000pts where would you go?

Something like for the 1st 1000pts:

Arkanaut Frigate (280pts)

Arkanaut Company x10 (120pts)

Skywardens (100pts)

Arkanaut Admiral (140pts)

Longbeards x20 (240pts)

Warden King (120pts)

Total: 1000pts

Cool list @MightyOwl:D

I'd think about swapping the Warden King out for a Runelord, as an extra point of rend is generally better than the +1 to wound, and you'll be able to use one of the Longbeards' other grumbles instead of 'Who does this beardling think he is?'. If you're planning on giving the Arkanauts three skyhooks, you might want to look at swapping the admiral out for an Aether-Khemist too.

Expansion-wise expanding the skywardens to max size with four drill cannons and an Aether-Khemist to back them up would add a lot of punch, and if you're looking for a truly mixed duardin list you could do a lot worse than a unit of 30 Vulkite Bezerkers with a Auric Runesmiter to mine them in anywhere on the battlefield.

If you are planning on excluding the Fyreslayers (sorry guys, no shirt no shoes, no service) and have access to a copy of Season of War: Firestorm you could stand to gain a lot by picking up Tempest's Eye allegiance and picking up a handy early game speed boost to help compensate the usual dwarfy shortcomings.

10 hours ago, Double Misfire said:

I'd think about swapping the Warden King out for a Runelord, as an extra point of rend is generally better than the +1 to wound, and you'll be able to use one of the Longbeards' other grumbles instead of 'Who does this beardling think he is?'. If you're planning on giving the Arkanauts three skyhooks, you might want to look at swapping the admiral out for an Aether-Khemist too.

Didnt think of that with the runelord - good advice.  (I will still get round to get the warden king because for me that model = 10/10)!  I definitely would like to expand later the arkanauts to have one big group with max skyhooks - how many does the kit come with? I am assuming i will need to visit ebay/a bitz site to get more?  Are skyhooks still the best to equip a squad with if it will be a group of ten going in a frigate? Or is the skypike better as they are more likely to get charged?

As for the aether-khemists they are also on my to buy list but the battleforce doesnt come with one so as an initial starting point to keep costs down I will go with the admiral.  

Not sure what i think of the fyreslayers.... but a magmadroth could definitely find its way into my army at some point.

Archived