New to Ironjawz and Sigmar in general

spacemarine542

Hey all,

As the title says I'm new to Sigmar, as a long standing 40k player I thought I'd branch out more and start into our game store's Sigmar scene. I normally play Necrons and Imperial Guard in 40k so it's definitely a bit odd going from them to a smaller elite army like Ironjawz lol. So with that being said, I bought a Start Collecting Box to start my Ironjawz army. I guess my biggest question is, what are the most effective unit sizes? From my understanding Brutes are the go to in the Competitive scene, which my game store is competitive but not top end best tournament lists possible. How many Brutes is too many, same with Ard Boys? I built my Gore-gruntas with Choppas so I hope I didn't ****** myself there lol. Megaboss on Maw-krusha or on foot?  Thanks for you time!

It dependsif you going to play 1k - 2k

for a 1k army this is a solid build:

Spoiler

Allegiance: Ironjawz

Leaders
Orruk Megaboss (140)
Orruk Warchanter (80)
Moonclan Grot Shaman (80)
- Allies

Battleline
10 x Orruk Brutes (360)
- Ironjawz Battleline
10 x Orruk Ardboys (180)
- Ironjawz Battleline

Battalions
Ironfist (160)

Total: 1000 / 1000
Allies: 80 / 200
Wounds: 67

for 2k you can think about ramp up the brutes to 15..., but MK is a must in my opinion, also a second Warchanter...

I normally play with this :

Spoiler

Allegiance: Ironjawz

Leaders
Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (460)
Orruk Warchanter (80)
Orruk Warchanter (80)
- Allies
- Allies

Battleline
15 x Orruk Brutes (540)
- Ironjawz Battleline
20 x Orruk Ardboys (360)
- Ironjawz Battleline
3 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (140)
- Ironjawz Battleline

Battalions
Ironfist (160)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Allies: 160 / 400
Wounds: 134

The most important part here is to buff the brutes with a mystic shield, Warchanter +1 Hit and no battleshock, their bravery is very poor so if the loose one or two units, the battleshock will hit them hard. 

I play with the MK on one flank and the Gruntas (Pig Choppas are the right choice) on the other and in the middle the brutes with Ardboys. 

Sometime I also add  the Orruk Warboss with a Flag so your Brutes can also reroll Wound rolls of 1...

You can use the other Warchanters +1 Hit and Moonclan Shamans Mystic Shield on the MK and he is going to be a beast.

Also if you feel about the flank (3 Gruntas) is too weak, you can switch 10 Ardboys to 3 Gruntas to increase the strength.

There are some other interesting builds with 2k, like a weirdfist or a gore fest, but this is most played one.

yes, they are (Drums only if you want to go aggressive), also I use the Icon of Gork, but only if I play with 20+ ardboys. Try to equip as many as possible with shields.

Sometimes I play 30 ardboys with mystic shield so they can hold objectives like a wall. The enemy will chew some time on them...

You should have as many drums/banners/icons in your Ardboys as you can since weapon wise they count as having whatever you say they do at the start of the match. As such there is literally no down side to having them.

With regards to Brutes the standard unit size is 10. You can go for 15/20 if you want but generally you don't want to drop to 5. 

GG's should always have the 1" range weapon since there is no advantage to having the 2". The Brutes on the other hand can attack in 2 ranks with 2" so either option is good at 10, if you go to 15 or 20 you definitely want the 2" range.

Archived