A Bretonnian + SCE force

Milford

Hi, all, 

I currently have the following 800 points: 

Enchantress (160)

Grail Knights x10 (360)

Grail Knights x5 (180)

Liberators x5 (100)

Here, the liberators are converted to fit the Bretonnian theme (and are painted with my army's main heraldry).

I recognise that a 2000 point army which includes this force is probably not going to be super competitive, but I love my bretonnian knights (and more generally the bretonnia theme) too much not to build and play them.

That said, I would like to make a 2k list from these 800pts that is as competitive as possible.

What do you guys reckon?

For the remaining 1200pts, I was thinking of going for (i) 2x5 liberator units, (ii) 1 large or 2 med sized fulminator units, (iii) the rest on range and a little more magic.

EDIT: To be clear: I'd be willing to include any order forces, as long as I could make them in some way fit the bretonnia theme.

I'll make a reply since I'm looking at the same sort of thing that you are! Came back into Warhammer not so long ago and found all my old Bretonnian units not really viable, so have been looking at going mixed order. I picked up the starter box set and the spire of dawn set so have quite a few elves and stormcast to choose from, but haven't really found a place for them in the army (although I do like the swordmasters..).

I had quite a few other models from my previous interest anyway so have been able to field a fairly decent mixed order list with a couple additional bits and bobs from ebay. The list I last used was:

Leaders
Anointed Of Asuryan On Frostheart Phoenix (240)
Dragonlord (340)
- Shield & Dragon Blade
Loremaster (100)
Noble Standard Bearer (80)
Enchantress (160)

Battleline
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammers

Units
5 x Grail Knights (180)
5 x Grail Knights (180)
5 x Grail Knights (180)

War Machines
Reaper Bolt Thrower (120)
Reaper Bolt Thrower (120)

Total: 2000 / 2000

Like you, I am loathe to give up on the knights so am looking to convert as much as possible into a Bretonnian theme - for example, since Louen is virtually unplayable in AoS I have used the model on my dragonlord. Dragonlord is my general and is definitely worth looking at, likewise the Frostheart Phoenix. You mention getting a few more smaller units and more range/magic, but I would have a think about getting in a heavy hitter if you can.

I don't think this is the best list there is and there is probably better battleline units out there, but the liberators are fairly cheap, effective, and have been easy to convert with spare knights heads. Grail Knights are excellent on the charge, especially against death - which happens to be the main opponent for me, so I'm happy spending 540 points on them.

I miss having my Archers in the army so I recently picked up some bolt throwers off ebay for next to nothing. I have only run them a couple of times but I'm already in love with them, especially with the Loremaster giving one of them re-roll to hit & wound. Have found the 36" range handy for picking off low wound heroes or helping to bring down some of the behemoths. Easy enough to convert to a Bretonnia theme as well - just use two of your men at arms or archers there!

As I say there are definitely more competitive lists out there (a lot of mixed order lists go for Skinks as the battleline), but I am trying to keep it as Bretonnian as possible. Always live in hope of them coming back...

Not sure if this is of any help but hopefully something might give you an idea!

Archived