Wrangling (high) aelves.

thereisnosaurus

Hey folks, high elf lists seem to pop up now and again but seem pretty fractured as far as content. I'm working on painting up a high elf collection and trying to figure out what to focus on. 

The core of the list I'm building is the following: 

Lothern sea helm (general)

30 archers

30 spireguard

2 bolt throwers

5 reavers

5 reavers

The additional models I have are the following:

2 archmages, 1 annointed on foot, 1 dragon (prince or mage), 1 high warden, 1 skywarden

20 white lions, 20 swordmasters, 10 Phoenix guard, 20 spireguard

10 silverhelms/dragon blades (converted so could use as either), 10 reavers, 2 lion chariots 

Now, there are a couple of ways i could go from the core- i could leverage the spire of dawn batallion and add swordmasters, high warden etc. Being able to double move swordmasters or doubleshoot with 30 spireguard seems pretty solid. 

Alternatively i could go with the skywarden with a pennant to run around with the reavers and boost their shooting while the core force and some elite infantry anchor a line. 

I have a preference for playing primarily infantry based armies rather than the monster menagerie that seems to be the overall AOS meta, so I want to see if I can get that to work. Seems like Aelves are one of the factions who can.

Sure they can bit it depends how competitive you want your army to be and who you play. High Elves aren't very good right know. Spire of Dawn Battatlion is the best option  for you. Then I would go with Pheonix Guard  as they are best HE elite ifantry.  Even if you don't plan on taking many monsters I would consider one Pheonix as  Pheonixes are amazing and when some kind of HE faction gets Battletome I guess they will use that kit. 

Wasn't the spire of dawn battalion left out of the new generals handbook? It might not be a problem with your gaming group, but it didn't have any points, so it's meant for open and narrative play. 

I'll second it on phoenix's. I've seen some battle reports with them, and they are super tough to take off the table. 

4 hours ago, mumperpa said:

Wasn't the spire of dawn battalion left out of the new generals handbook? It might not be a problem with your gaming group, but it didn't have any points, so it's meant for open and narrative play. 

I'll second it on phoenix's. I've seen some battle reports with them, and they are super tough to take off the table. 

The battalion did have points, though it didn't have points in the new GHB.

Archived