Arkhan’s curse of years

L.Bromley

Question

Hey guys

i have a quick question about Arkhan’s curse of years spell, so with my mates we have always played it that if curse of years goes off and I’m lucky enough that I roll 6,5,4,3,2 then what ever I have targeted is slain, first up is this right in a matched play environment? Or should I keep rolling until I roll a 1, As I plan to use Arkhan for the first time at a tournament this month.

second issue is how does this spell work if what I target has a mortal wound save? Do we both keep rolling until eith I roll the one or does it stop at the point where he makes the last mortal wound save.

cheers guys

3 answers to this question

If you get through to rolling 1s, the unit is destroyed. This is not a to-hit or to-wound roll, so the rule of 1 indicating failure for those particular rolls does not apply.

If you are targeting, say, a Bastiladon, and you get to 1s, the unit is destroyed -- you'll roll infinite 1s, but your opponent will roll fewer 4+ resistance dice. If it's a unit like Nagash that has the possibility of injuring you back, roll the individual resistance dice until Nagash fails enough of them to die -- it's necessary because Nagash could deal mortal wounds to Arkhan in that instance.

1. Yes, if you get down to a 1+, the target is slain, because at that point you just keep on inflicting mortal wounds until it's dead.
  2. A successful roll does a mortal wound and gives you an extra roll, regardless of whether the wound was saved. You may as well do all your rolls first and work out how many saves they need to make. If you get down to 1+ they have to make infinity saves or their unit is dead.

Fun fact, you don't have to stop rolling saves if you don't want to until your unit dies. Just because it's a foregone conclusion doesn't mean you can't roll. So if you're at a dice-down tournament and you're a giant unkind person... 

Archived