Putrid Blightkings used as battle line

Boomfrickle02

Hey guys! I come to y'all with all my Warhammer problems, and this one i've asked my very good friends and family that play the game....

Do Putrid Blightkings take the place of Plaguebearers?
I run a pure Nurgle army, and for Christmas my brother surprised me with two boxes of them.  Since i have now 4 units of 5 Putrid Blightkings, should I run them with Battle Line as they are 180 points for 5 of them , and plague bearers are 100 for 10. I currently use...

3 plague bearer units of 20 and one unit of 10,(700)

2 units of 5 Putrid Blightkings, (360)

a lord of Plagues,(100)

1 unit of 3 nurglings,(240)

a Harbringer of decay, (140)

gutrot spume, (120)

and a glotkin(My general) (480)

for a nurguly total of 1980.

However, I was thinking of taking out two units of 20 plaguebearers and adding in 2 units of 5 blightkings, so I could get three artifacts for the glotkin or some thing. What do you think? Keep the old or switch to the new. Most of my friends say make it new, but a part of me thinks keep the old. Please give me your advice!

If I may make a suggestion, running Plaguebearers in units of 30 is much more effective, especially with the Glottkin. You save 30 points with the massive regiment bonus, it takes longer to break their minus to hit ability (especially with the glottkin's spell) and they can protect your units better from melee attackers by stringing out around the battlefield.  An interesting list could be

Glottkin - General

Gutrot Spume

Lord of Plagues

Harbinger of Decay

Plaguebearers - x30

Plaguebearers - x30

Blightkings - x20

Nurglings - x3

2000/2000

Could be fun. Nurglings and/or Plaguebearers can guard objectives, Mystic shield on the unit on 20 Blightkings can make them pretty tanky, add in the Glottkin's command ablility and maybe an unpredictable destruction and watch the wound rolls grow ever higher. The Glottkin spell on Plaguebearers works great too. The only problem could be getting through units with good armor saves (stormcast, etc) but with the sheer ammount of attacks and resiliance it would also take enemies forever to break your ranks.  You could also take out the Lord of Plagues for a unit of 10 plaguebearers for objective holding too, which could be more reliable than nurglings and frees up a huge meatshield tarpit unit for enemies to futilly try to cut through.

4 minutes ago, Somanlius said:

If I may make a suggestion, running Plaguebearers in units of 30 is much more effective, especially with the Glottkin. You save 30 points with the massive regiment bonus, it takes longer to break their minus to hit ability (especially with the glottkin's spell) and they can protect your units better from melee attackers by stringing out around the battlefield.  An interesting list could be

Glottkin - General

Gutrot Spume

Lord of Plagues

Harbinger of Decay

Plaguebearers - x30

Plaguebearers - x30

Blightkings - x20

Nurglings - x3

2000/2000

Could be fun. Nurglings and/or Plaguebearers can guard objectives, Mystic shield on the unit on 20 Blightkings can make them pretty tanky, add in the Glottkin's command ablility and maybe an unpredictable destruction and watch the wound rolls grow ever higher. The Glottkin spell on Plaguebearers works great too. The only problem could be getting through units with good armor saves (stormcast, etc) but with the sheer ammount of attacks and resiliance it would also take enemies forever to break your ranks.  You could also take out the Lord of Plagues for a unit of 10 plaguebearers for objective holding too, which could be more reliable than nurglings and frees up a huge meatshield tarpit unit for enemies to futilly try to cut through.

Are you suggesting 2 units of 10 blightkings or 1 unit of 20.

Thank you man, i never looked at the massive regiment bonus! I love it and my friends will be destroyed. Thanks alot!!!

Well that depends. Each have their positives and negitives. There is a good thread on here somewhere compairing multiple small units to larger units. A unit of 20 can be easily buffed by few spells but 4 units of 5 are more mobile, less battleshock risk, and take fewer wounds before the unit is destroyed so heavy hitters waste attacks. Also, since the Glottkin's command ability effects ALL units within 14" that could sway you to do 4 units of 5, but having a unit of 20 models with 3 wounds(or 4 with the glottkins spell) and a 3+ save with mystic shield could be deadly too. Also 4 units of 5 have more chances to get unpredictable destruction for those sweet 5+ d6 wound rolls.

2 hours ago, Somanlius said:

Well that depends. Each have their positives and negitives. There is a good thread on here somewhere compairing multiple small units to larger units. A unit of 20 can be easily buffed by few spells but 4 units of 5 are more mobile, less battleshock risk, and take fewer wounds before the unit is destroyed so heavy hitters waste attacks. Also, since the Glottkin's command ability effects ALL units within 14" that could sway you to do 4 units of 5, but having a unit of 20 models with 3 wounds(or 4 with the glottkins spell) and a 3+ save with mystic shield could be deadly too. Also 4 units of 5 have more chances to get unpredictable destruction for those sweet 5+ d6 wound rolls.

alright, i will do four units of five then. Thank you very much

2 hours ago, Somanlius said:

Let me know how it plays out. My friend plays Nurgle and just got a Glottkin and I'd love to hear how he works with Blightkings and Plaguebearers.

I am actually about to play, and my friends are super,scared. They thought I was cheating because of the massive look of the army. I am setting up now. Thanks man...

Awesome! Hopefully once the new battletome drops you can continue kicking major butt. Glad to hear it worked out well. Did you see any weakness in your battlelines or any units not working to full potential? Did you have enough mobility for objective grabbing? How did multiple units of blightkings work out?

Im curious because my friend had been working on his Nurgle for a little while and I'd love to have some things to talk and plan about with him.

1 minute ago, Somanlius said:

Awesome! Hopefully once the new battletome drops you can continue kicking major butt. Glad to hear it worked out well. Did you see any weakness in your battlelines or any units not working to full potential? Did you have enough mobility for objective grabbing? How did multiple units of blightkings work out?

Im curious because my friend had been working on his Nurgle for a little while and I'd love to have some things to talk and plan about with him.

It is a bit slow into battle, but it kicked butt. Out the Blight kings by the glotkin and harbringer, while you swarm everything else together. It worked well, and it should work well in the future. I would recommend being super careful when deploying, I almost lost all my plague bearers because their swarm catn handle tanks...

Thanks for everthing man.

Since ever thing is getting cheaper, hopefully we can put in that new tree thing and the maggot infested deaths head giver...

Archived