The Gyrforge Buzzards need your help.

TheNotebookGM

So, my friend and I split a couple of Spire of Dawn boxes, and both added a couple of things from there. We've gotten 4 games in at this point, and I'm batting a .250 so far and he's quite smug about it. I don't have the complete sets of the Spire of Dawn because I cut some up for conversions (he also hasn't painted a single model whereas I'm done but for highlighting and vanity work so I'm winning the moral victory), but this is the list I've been running.

High Warden (General)

-Legendary Fighter (Starwood lance)

-Obstinate Blade (Starwood lance)

2 Tenebrael Shards

1 Archmage

1 Grimwrath Beserker

2x5 Reavers

-Captains

1x20 Swordmasters (Sometimes 2x10, I can't decide which I prefer)

-Command

1x5 Hearthguard Beserkers

-Lanterny flail things that I don't want to look up

I also have 10 Spireguard that I'll get around to painting, but I cut the other 10 up to convert my High Aelven Tenebrael Shard. I also cut up the other High Warden to beef up my Swordmaster champion, make a better scepter for my Archmage, and a better standard topper for my Swordmasters. The 2nd Archmage became the other Shard.... so I don't have alot more to work with at the moment. I'll be getting some KO Skywardens and a Fyreslayers SC with some extra Vulkites after I spend money on my partner and dog for the holiday. 

He's running

1 Arch-Warlock

2 Warlock Engineers

2 Skaven Warlord

1x40 Clanrats 

-Hand weapons and shields

1x40 Clanrats 

-Spears and Shields

1x3 Stormfiends

4x1 Poison Wind Mortars

I might be forgetting something that but that puts us both in the 1400 -1500 range I think. Basically, I beat him the first game and then I explained to him that he could just wrap his clanrats around his artillery and it would stop me from dropping Shards behind his lines and tearing them the shreds. It occurs to me that I should have waited for him to figure it out on his own because he's been obliterating me ever since. Fact is, I pretty much just can't kill them fast enough in an objective based game, but I have to engage them in order to get at them mortars so I'm kinda caught. What I've been doing since he started this bubble wrapping thing is using the reavers to create a bottleneck that the Shards can escape on their combat phase retreat until the swordmasters and Fyreslayers can take over and the Reavers can retreat to objectives and provide ranged support. Except it all just dies a slow death to mortars and clanrats. 

Does anyone have a tip or trick that might help me? Or a suggestion of some (preferably Aelven, KO, or Fyreslayer) model that will help me immensely? Or is the answer just "get better at managing your resources"? 

Archived