Reviving my old skaven - starting a Skryre army

Kisufisu

I used to play skaven a long time ago, so I have plenty of old models left. I always sort of struggled to get a decent army together, or even reach point limits, since I didn't want to use a ton of basic clanrats and slaves. I had too much random skaven figures instead of the basic troops, so I mostly played very small games or even skirmishes. I always liked clan skryre best, so I wanted to take that as my starting point of reviving my old world ratmen. Now with AOS, I saw that a clan skryre army doesn't really require the masses of basic clanrats, as long a I get some stormfiends. Well, actually, I don't ofc own any stormfiends since those guys didn't exist back in the day, but I have some other stuff I can start out with. The thing I love about skryre is that you can just add random techy bits and stuff from 40k, as long as you paint it to look rusty and old/wooden. I dabbled in 40k very briefly, trying out some nurgle chaos space marines, but my friends either got bored of the hobby or moved to another town, so I kind of forgot the whole thing too. So I have some random 40k bits, mostly some random space marine backpacks etc my friend gave me before moving. This whole army will probably take me a whole lot of time to finish, since I have to rebase everything, and this is kind of my side army while I am mainly building GA: Death right now.

Oookay, first there's the warlock engineers. I guess I'll start with the only painted guy so far:

skryre1.jpg.245645fc6613993416530be5710ca2f5.jpg

skryre2.jpg.010019f16cb89ab89e2e75ce0459aa6e.jpg

skryre3.jpg.eedd2bfba3b17329b91081a25d8a8943.jpg

skryre4.jpg.b049e6940cf68e85d4aea3e105f8f4c0.jpg

This guy is just one of the old engineers, with the arm repositioned and wires and a globe added. Not sure about the cape, I wanted to try something different, and at the same time I kind of like it and hate it. I feel the arm-blades look way worse in the pictures than in real life, but apparently I have to do something to those :D Also, I actually have to buy a ton of new paints for this army, since for this guy I used my friend's paints.

The next guy is also a slightly modded old figure:

skryre5.jpg.299bfbc1bed7d8caeec0e2b1a9bd2c09.jpg

It's the old Ikit Claw figure that I added a random flag and a weird torch to.

Then, the arch warlock. This guy was a a fun test of sorts, but I kinda like the result.

skryre6.jpg.524ef8ce38d9df6bfd9038ccfb5f3393.jpg

skryre7.jpg.2843a434ccfba82e327e8ab4baa67bf2.jpg

I started building this when I found an old forest goblin spider rider's spider. It just looked so stiff and awkward, that I figured it would make cool robot legs :D I know this guy is a bit over the top, but that's what I love about clan Skryre. Also, a ton of space marine parts and a gunhand I got from friends. I will probably add some flames or smoke to the pipes, maybe for the whole army eventually.

Okay, those were the engineers, time to move on to something different. These are all still very much WIP.

skryre8.jpg.20cde8cf762394c0903d1d892a5be646.jpg

skryre9.jpg.56eddb4db13925f41ca4c153feccc691.jpg

A very DIY warp grinder team, made of all kinds of various bits. there's also a random toy grenade I found. I will still add stuff to these guys, like two pipes/wires going to the front guys back from the other guys hands. The base is not the correct size, but I will eventually have to get some of the oval bases for my other weapon teams as well, so these guys can wait until those arrive.

Next, some WIP warp lightning cannons.

skryre10.jpg.34f0b438fab2c2994e80a56e9340446a.jpg

skryre11.jpg.e1bf3399e2ea80cc4ec0ba743784df22.jpg

skryre12.jpg.b54458e977ba53390c1882e3ebd64e9c.jpg

skryre13.jpg.5312bff491889533753c5be5c584362e.jpg

This thing was a fun one. It has all kinds of bits: random toy robot parts, a christmas light, some very old green stuff, some old chariot stuff... I will still keep adding to it, like probably another crew member, and there will be 3 more giant rats in the front pulling the cannon. Buuuut I have to wait for the base to really continue anywhere. Then there's another cannon!

skryre14.jpg.0613855dfe259af7f31b6d3ff37a9b5f.jpg

skryre15.jpg.23245c0500d85dbce0bf5ea53812cef4.jpg

This thing was once kind of done, before my cat went berserk on it. Hence the paints. It is the old WLC, with a snotling pump-wagon as a base. I will add a bench for the driver and atleast 2 clanrats pushing the thing. Also might add a christmas light and some pipes with fire coming out of them, just to match the other WLC. The Ikit Claw-engineer is meant to go along with these, that's why he has that random flaming torch too.

That's all for now, as I said, I have to wait for the bases to continue most of these, and they take a long time to get here. I actually haven't even decided how I'm gonna do the basing. Maybe some basic grey stone pavement with random pipes and puddles of green sludge. I have 2 old rat ogres, and the skeletony-version of Thanquol's Boneripper, which I will be building into my first stormfiends in the future. Those are probably gonna be one of my side projects while waiting for the bases. After those I probably have to buy some actual stormfiends, but that's okay cause I really like the models. I have some other old skaven things too, like 2 jezzails, 10 stormvermins, a few weapon teams, globadiers etc. I will be ordering bases for those guys too and converting/painting them once I get other stuff done.

Archived