Bitesize Report of the Bristol Smash - aka "Dumb Ways to Die"

bottle

Bottle's Bristol Smash Report - aka "Dumb Ways to Die"

Hey everyone, here's a quick report of my trip to the Bristol Smash. Not only my first ever AoS tournament by my first wargaming tournament ever!

i never thought I would become a "tournament gamer", but I've found the whole community to be so awesome and exciting and am so glad I have finally jumped on board.

My objectives for this event was to:
- Have fun - meet people
- Get some feedback on my painting
- Get better at Age of Sigmar

And in light of that, it was a resounding success. But in terms of winning games, I did terrible lol! I came second to last, which whilst being better than coming last - I did actually lose to the player who came last overall!

What it did show to me is that AoS is an incredibly fun game to play competitively and also has a great breadth of tactics and strategy to sink your teeth into. Strategy and tactics I need need to learn, however, so, this bite size report will be titled; Dumb Ways to Die haha.

Here was my army:

CDmH1yU.jpg

Heroes:
Freeguild General x2
Battlemage x2
Cogsmith
Alarielle the Radiant 
Handmaiden to the Everqueen

Units:
5x Outriders
20x Swordsmen
10x Archers
10x Thunderers
10x Fyreslayers Vulkite Bezerkers 

Warmachines:
Dwarf Cannon
Empire Cannon
Steamtank

In each game in took the same 20 pools which was all of the above minus Alarielle and her Handmaiden (who just came along for the ride and to look pretty).

Game 1:

grEdsp9.jpg

Game 1 was against a Death army, and it was Byron of the Facehammer podcast fame. I am a massive fan of his painting so it was great to meet him and he gave me some tips on how to improve my stuff.

His army smashed me up though! It was: Nagash, Neferata and Arkhan. On turn 1 he summoned 6 Morghast Archai and got off all the charges meaning I was fighting for my life from the word go.

Although it was a complete defeat to me (20-0), in many ways it was quite close as I almost killed Nagash.

uVOS3L2.jpg

My steamtank rammed Nagash, but alas it was ripped to shreds my the Mortarchs either side!

Game 2:

The secomd game was against George who had Ogors (led my Gordak, the new Orruk Maw Krusha special character). If I thought last game was brutal it was nothing compared to this one!

94ohFHT.jpg

This was an odd scenario, the board was split into four corners and each player had two opposite corners to deploy in. The deployment zones were really close too.

This combined with Gordak's ability to give a formation a 3D6 charge, and that his entire army was a formation, meant everything charged into me turn 1 and I lost every scoring unit before I had even moved! 

The game ended 19-1

Game 3:

Game 3 was against a great guy, Mike from the Cheltenham Warchiefs. It featured an Archaon who wasn't that scary and 6 Stormfiends who were terrifying! (Mincing my Steamtank in a single turn).

RL9y1IQ.jpg

In this game I didn't get tabled. (Had one wizard still alive at the end). And got myself a few points for assassinating his general with a cannon ball, but it was off to the bottom table for me lol!

Game 4:

Game 4 saw me against Charlie who eventually came last. This game was close and ended 12-8 (IIRC) so a slight loss to me.

WUVAOJm.jpg

This was a really fun game in which my Steamtank ran over a bloodthirster and killed 40 clan rats! I also learnt from my mistakes previously and deployed and played much more tactically. But obviously still not amazingly well as I still lost and so by the end of this game was bottom and ready for my name to be immortalised on the wooden spoon they have...

Game 5:

Game 5 was against Goblins and a great guy called Carl from the Warchiefs. This game had some fun moments, including taking out 2 giants in one turn (and one was felled by a fyreslayer throwing axe).

nFhQmvp.jpg

I actually came close to winning this game, on my last turn my Steamtank only had to kill 20 goblins on an objective to stop them from scoring it, but despite shooting it with everything and then ramming it too, 5 goblins survived and the game ended up a straight draw at 10-10...

Which pushed me back above last place as my previous opponent had lost his final game quite badly. Phew!

So I had a really great time. One of the best things was to speak to Byron (in game u1) and later Les from Facehammer also came over to introduce himself and say some kind words about my painting which was amazing for me! :-)

I am gonna push my painting and do a few more centrepieces for the army so see if I can get a nomination next time for best painted.

I also need to learn to play better lol!

Thanks man! I would have liked to do more in depth reports of each (to catalogue my mistakes better) but the iPhone sadly doesn't do too great a wide battlefield shots (it is amazing at close-ups tho) maybe next time I'll take my DSLR and snap some nicer pics :-)

Oh, I think I'll be able to do better next tourney. This one was very much "how can I get 20 pools together!", I already have ordered a few items to add and help tune my list to give it more teeth. Thanks for commenting ?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived