Competitive viability and longevity of Warhammer Underworlds

CodFather

The advantage Warhammer Underworlds (and MtG card sets) have over games like AoS and 40K will always remain that it's released as the product in itself is finished. So from that point on any question can be awnsered and any interaction can be explained.

One thing players easily forget is that AoS and 40K are in continious construction and the downside of that is that there isn't always time or clearity between designers to really have a concrete awnser for every question. In addition sometimes games are just designed with some rules that are quickly made and not tested throughout and sometimes the community then finds a way to break it.

I'm happy with the FAQs but not always happy with the wording on cards. The FAQ explains it in a good way but not always logical. Pushing Objective tokens into blocked hexes and being able to Swift Strike into nothing feels odd.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Regarding the earlier luck and dice roll discussion. In my very limited experience I definitely feel like cards are more key - specifically objectives. The game is very clear on  "play a game out even if all one warband is out of action". Glory is all.

In that respect I feel like taking fighters out (or not) and losing your own are a means to an end. Which is neat.

Then the emphasis on discard piles being open info - this could form an interesting bluff meta. You're not trying to get the cards you want early but trying to get that one DECOY 5 glory objective to make your opponent think you couldn't play it and discarded it and therefore your glory tally is going to be hampered. In reality you were never aiming for that big end goal.

In that sense it feels more like playing poker than playing a dice game.

I think the time I felt most caught out was during one of my games (each 3 player games) where I was chatting to the Orruk player and the Undead player suddenly said 'I've got almost no cards left!' - he'd been discarding (face down) an absolute ton it seemed. I'd no idea what his game was then. And I wasn't aware that the intent is that the discard decks be open info.

As a former MtG player Ive also since start played with open discard piles, able for my opponent to look through and even sideways discarded for what has been played that Round. Clearity is key.

In addition it also matters a lot for ploys. Illusory Fighter has been my most victory rewarding ploy.

Dice do matter but as before I see it as a 70-30 tactical-luck game. Less luck is required as good choices. Work towards your Objective deck at all times. Know your end game plan and potentially your opponents. Conquest, Denial and Containment are huge swingers and if you can score two of them both 6 Glory further, usually 6 Glory is harder to score by just killing. So far only managed to go further with kills by playing Orruks and only because they have a ton of additonal Attack action ploys and cards who let you move/push. 

Top 3 ploys for me are also Illusory Fighter, Time Trap and Mighty Swing as they globally allow for effectively more Actions. To all who are building including these is never a bad plan.

Whats also fun to see is that I feel each Warband so far has 2/3 great card types and 1/3 mediocre. For Stormcast I love their Ploys and Objectives, for Reavers I love their Upgrades and Objectives, for Orruks and Sepulchral Guard I love their Ploys and Upgrades.

Archived