Hobbit Eagles, High Elfs and and all Elf Order Army

bsharitt

So I recently got a Spire of Dawn set mostly for Skaven, but the Elves are joining  the Dwarfs and Stormcast of my Order army and I was looking at options to add some more elves and maybe building them out into an army of their own. But since none of the High Elf successor factions have any allegiance abilities, I'll be building an all Order allegience army that just happens to be all elves, which means I'm sort of okay taking High Elf units for now(until GHB18/19 or whenever the compendium warscrolls are dropped). First of all, I'm trying to load up on Reavers on eBay since they seem to be the only High Elf battleline, but I was wondering if there's something "specific" that can be altered on the Spireguard to make them Highborne spearmen. I'm looking at old pictures via Google and am seeming a lot of variation. Were these alternatives from the same box by any chance(not that it matters since my Spireguard are the monopose ones from Spire of Dawn/Isle of Blood)? My backup option if I can't get the Reavers for a reasonable price are Glade Guard with a suitably noble paint job, but then I'll be tempted to start a Wanderers army, but I'm already trying to fill out my Dwarf armies, my Stormcasts, my Nighthaunt army, and I have plans to build out a destruction army and tie all my Chaos stuff together into an army and probably shouldn't tempt myself in this way.

The second part of my question is that I still want to add some non-battleline stuff and one of those is Giant Eagles. Since the WHFB models are out of print, I was looking at the Hobbt/LOTR models(which look nicer to me anyway) and was wondering the scale. Will they look out of place? Other that the Highwarden, I don't have any other eagles.

6 minutes ago, bsharitt said:

So I recently got a Spire of Dawn set mostly for Skaven, but the Elves are joining  the Dwarfs and Stormcast of my Order army and I was looking at options to add some more elves and maybe building them out into an army of their own. But since none of the High Elf successor factions have any allegiance abilities, I'll be building an all Order allegience army that just happens to be all elves, which means I'm sort of okay taking High Elf units for now(until GHB18/19 or whenever the compendium warscrolls are dropped). First of all, I'm trying to load up on Reavers on eBay since they seem to be the only High Elf battleline, but I was wondering if there's something "specific" that can be altered on the Spireguard to make them Highborne spearmen. I'm looking at old pictures via Google and am seeming a lot of variation. Were these alternatives from the same box by any chance(not that it matters since my Spireguard are the monopose ones from Spire of Dawn/Isle of Blood)? My backup option if I can't get the Reavers for a reasonable price are Glade Guard with a suitably noble paint job, but then I'll be tempted to start a Wanderers army, but I'm already trying to fill out my Dwarf armies, my Stormcasts, my Nighthaunt army, and I have plans to build out a destruction army and tie all my Chaos stuff together into an army and probably shouldn't tempt myself in this way.

The second part of my question is that I still want to add some non-battleline stuff and one of those is Giant Eagles. Since the WHFB models are out of print, I was looking at the Hobbt/LOTR models(which look nicer to me anyway) and was wondering the scale. Will they look out of place? Other that the Highwarden, I don't have any other eagles.

I have two of the LOTR eagles and the scale is spot on.  They are almost exactly the same as the hawks in the Skycutter kit.  I use them in my Swifthawk Agents lists and they fit right in. Plus as you say they are beautiful models. 

1 minute ago, TheWilddog said:

I have two of the LOTR eagles and the scale is spot on.  They are almost exactly the same as the hawks in the Skycutter kit.  I use them in my Swifthawk Agents lists and they fit right in. Plus as you say they are beautiful models. 

Nice. I think my FLGS might have some shoved back in a dusty corner with their Hobbit and LOTR stuff. I'll have to see if I can dig it out this weekend and if not get one ordered.

Archived