Abilities That Proc on Re-roll Results

AverageBoss

Question

I am perfectly clear on the re-rolls before modifiers thing. Success/fail for re-rolling is determined -> re-rolls take place -> modifiers (including rend) are applied.

But what about abilities that trigger based on the result of the re-roll, such as the Lord Celestant on Stardrakes shield, which triggers on successful re-rolls. Would this be on his base 3+ save, or does the success/fail before modifiers only apply for re-rolls themselves?

4 answers to this question

14 minutes ago, AverageBoss said:

I am perfectly clear on the re-rolls before modifiers thing. Success/fail for re-rolling is determined -> re-rolls take place -> modifiers (including rend) are applied.

But what about abilities that trigger based on the result of the re-roll, such as the Lord Celestant on Stardrakes shield, which triggers on successful re-rolls. Would this be on his base 3+ save, or does the success/fail before modifiers only apply for re-rolls themselves?

Two parts; you can't re-roll a re-roll, and re-rolls happen before modifiers.

So in this case, if you roll a natural 1, you can re-roll - scores can't be modified to 1 to qualify.

This re-roll can't then be re-rolled, so success or failure would be result post-modifiers as those are all that's left.

This is only based on the statement in the FAQ that a success or failure for a *re-roll* trigger is the unmodified roll.

12 minutes ago, BaldoBeardo said:

Two parts; you can't re-roll a re-roll, and re-rolls happen before modifiers.

So in this case, if you roll a natural 1, you can re-roll - scores can't be modified to 1 to qualify.

This re-roll can't then be re-rolled, so success or failure would be result post-modifiers as those are all that's left.

This is only based on the statement in the FAQ that a success or failure for a *re-roll* trigger is the unmodified roll.

That is not really what I was asking, and I am well aware of the 1st two parts at the start of your post. Let me give a more fleshed out example:

You attack a Stardrake that is getting a bonus to its save roll. You inflict a wound. Stardrake rolls a natural 1 for its save, triggering a re-roll. Would the re-roll need to be a natural 2 or a natural 3 to trigger his shields special rule (which triggers if "the re-rolled save is successful").

I other words do you check to see if the re-roll is successful after re-rolls but before modifiers, or after modifiers.

2 minutes ago, AverageBoss said:

That is not really what I was asking, and I am well aware of the 1st two parts at the start of your post. Let me give a more fleshed out example:

You attack a Stardrake that is getting a bonus to its save roll. You inflict a wound. Stardrake rolls a natural 1 for its save, triggering a re-roll. Would the re-roll need to be a natural 2 or a natural 3 to trigger his shields special rule (which triggers if "the re-rolled save is successful").

I other words do you check to see if the re-roll is successful after re-rolls but before modifiers, or after modifiers.

I did answer that... If a re-roll trigger is a pass/fail, then you go with unmodified roll.

Anything else is modified.

So with a +1sv, the 2nd part of the ability triggers on a 2+.

Archived