List Building, Battalions, and Including other units

Sunstrider

Hello Everyone,

I'm trying to wrap my ahead around list building for match play. I'm building a Skaven army based on the "Verminus Claw Pack:".  

A Verminus Clawpack consists of the following units:
• 1 Skaven Warlord

• 1 unit of Stormvermin

• 3 units of Clanrats

• Any 3 Weapon Team models chosen from the following list:

- Ratling Gun Weapon Team

- Warpfire Thrower Team

- Doom-flayer Weapon Team

- Warp-grinder Weapon Team

- Plague Mortar Weapon Team

My question is this;  

If I have all the units in the battalion, and I would like to add other units from other Skaven clans to complete my 2000pts list. 

Do they count as allies, or because they also share the "Skaven" keyword there is no restriction on points to the number I can include. 

If someone could clarify this for me and/ or point out where this is explained in the "Generals Hand books" or FAQ, etc.  

Thank you.

First of all, that battalion doesn't have points so you can't use it in matched play. Everything I say below is said with the understanding that the list above is just a list and not a battalion. The difference if it were a matched play battalion is that everything in it would have the verminus allegiance.

Allegiance is described in page 116. It's pretty straight forward, look at the keywords in your war scrolls, whatever keywords they all have in common are your allegiance options.

If you are using allies then 80% of your points need to share that keyword and the other 20% must have keywords that are valid allies for that faction.

Your army qualifies for Skaven and Chaos allegiance. You might be able to figure out to qualify for Verminus allegiance depending in whether  those weapon teams are 20% or less of your points (then they would be allies). There wouldn't be any advantage to that since the advantage to having verminus allegiance is that you can use stormvermin as battleline and you're using clanrats anyway (which is battleline for any Chaos army).

So, you have Skaven allegiance. But Skaven allegiance doesn't offer any allegiance abilities or artifacts so you'll be using the ones for Chaos.

That being the case, there is no functional difference between Skaven allegiance and Chaos allegiance so feel free to throw in any other Chaos stuff that might fit your army and just say it's a Chaos army.

2 hours ago, Sunstrider said:

Thanks a lot,  your response was quite helpful. So I can create the list with the "Chaos" allegiance and any with the chaos keyword is a legitimate unit. 

Yup. Which will be everything Skaven, Beastmen, Nurgle, etc...

If they release a Clan Verminus book or a Skaven book or something like that with new allegiance abilities and artifacts then it might be worth reconsidering, but for now there's no real advantage to limiting your army to one clan unless you were using  one of the two clans that does have their own abilities in the generals handbook, or you don't want to use Clanrats and needed something else to be battleline.

Archived