Hypothetical on Battalions, Double Turns

3 hours ago, AverageBoss said:

Its a rule found in battletomes.

Proves my earlier point. Really don't like that its a general non-army specific 'rule' only available in battletomes. Something that still isn't required by a majority of factions/players. 

Is there any mileage in suggesting that the deployment method outlined in the matched play battle plans (players take it in turns deploying units) would or should override the battletome battalion drop 'rule'. After all there are plenty of other things in battletomes and on war scrolls that don't work in matched play. 

20 hours ago, heywoah_twitch said:

What if players could not affect who goes first in any way? It's a random dice roll, and number of drops is irrelevant. 

Battalions get to come back down in points (and the weaker ones get to possibly be chosen ever).

The double turn is finally free from manipulation, and reliably playing for it every single match is gone. It's at last the exciting random tides of war it was meant to be rather than the consistent shut-out to set up good odds for. 

Is this a good solution to a few big issues people have with AoS?  Are low drop armies now at a disadvantage?  What minutia am i missing as a new player? 

Thoughts? 

I played a couple of games in that manner and it's still a fun game. It adds some different tactics, removes others. We did play it with +1 to the roll for the one who finished deploying first. Our biggest reason to do so was we were with the four of us (played 2 1on1 games and 1 triumph and treachery) but not all players had battalion options. Not just because we all played armies without a AoS army book but also because 2 players simply didn't have the models for it. (we also disallowed the extra artefact for that reason).

So for us it was better because it levelled the playing field. I still play it like that with one of them because he prefers it. On a social level it's not a big deal in a tournament setting I feel it should impact the battalion points but that would be an enormous task and those changes would likely lead to the next issue and the next issue and so forth. 

So yes, in a social setting just experiment with it (let your opponent know beforehand though ;) ) and see if it makes your games more exciting. As for the argument that the game becomes more random.... AoS, in my mind, is not a perfect strategy game. It's one part strategy and one part luck, and those together creates the fun for me. 

Archived