Waagh in opponent's turn?

Aginor

Question

Ok another question that came up playing against Ironjawz last night:

I was familiar with the Waagh ability of a Grenskinz Warboss, and I know it works only in the Orruks player's turn.

Yesterday I played against Ironjawz and my friend and I always played the IJ Waagh and mighty Waagh the same way, but yesterday we re-read the paragraph and noticed we may have been playing it wrong. Both the English and the German text do just say "the combat phase of the turn" and stuff like that.

So my question is: can the Megaboss or the Megaboss on Maw-Krusha use their abilities in the opponent's turn as well?

5 answers to this question

3 hours ago, tom_gore said:

No, since command abilities are used on your own hero phase. And in the case of Waaagh! it lasts only on that turn's combat phase, not the whole round.

Ehh... perhaps you didn't understand the question,  which may be the case because I phrased it poorly.
Or maybe I didn't understand your answer.

Let's just post what we are talking about:

This is from the normal Greenskinz Warboss, it works only in the Orruk player's turn, no question:

Waaagh!:
If an Orruk Warboss uses this ability, then all Orruk units from your army that are within 12" when they attack in your next combat phase are frenzied. All models in these units make 1 extra attack with all of their melee weapons.

So it is activated in the hero phase, and it affects the next combat phase. Which clearly means that it is not active in your opponent's turn. OK.

The curious one is this one, the Waagh from the Megaboss:

Waaagh!:
If a Megaboss uses this ability, count up the number of Ironjawz units within 10" of them at the start of the combat phase of the turn, and roll a dice. If the roll is less than or equal to the number of units, then this model and all models in those units make 1 extra attack with their melee weapons in that combat phase. If the
roll is 6 or more, and there are at least 6 Ironjawz units within 10" of this model, then make 2 extra attacks rather than 1.

Since it says you should count at the start of the combat phase, to me  it does look like that it is used in the combat phase of the turn. It doesn't say "your" turn. It doesn't say "any turn" either.   To me it looks ambigous.
And the same wording is used in the "mighty Waagh!" ability of the Megaboss on Maw-Krusha.

...now that I think about it... Did you mean: The command ability is used in the hero phase, allowing to count the models and trigger the effects in the following combat phase?  That would make it more clear. I still think it is weirdly worded....

No the models are actually counted at the start of the combat phase. The key here is "of the turn", which means it only works on your turn and not on the opponent's turn. "The turn" here of course refers to the turn you use the ability on.

Note that even if the models are counted at the start of the combat phase, you'll have to remember to activate the ability during your hero phase.

Ok that makes sense. I still think it is weirdly worded then, it should just say "of your combat phase" instead.

...sad for my Ironjawz playing friend though because he feels his IJs suck and need more stuff. So he had hoped for a different answer.

Archived