Stormbound Blade

Shadowheart

Question

Stormbound Blade: If the result of any hit roll for a Stormbound Blade is 6 or more, the target is wracked with the fury of the storm. Make three wound rolls against the target rather than one.

This is the weapon the Lord Celestant on Dragon wields, and the whole "Any" faq thing has me second guessing how I should be doing this.

I roll 6,6 5 to hit, for example.

Do I roll 7 dice to wound (3 for each roll of a 6, 1 for the 5)- this is how I've been doing it up until now.

5 dice (3 for one 6, then 1 for each otehr hit regardless of what is rolled, due to the wierd "any" ruling not allowing things to trigger more than once)

9 Dice (rolling any 6's causes cayse you to roll 3 dice to wound for each hit)

I got asked this very question earlier today, and just really has me second guessing the answer now.

4 answers to this question

6 hours ago, Shadowheart said:

Stormbound Blade: If the result of any hit roll for a Stormbound Blade is 6 or more, the target is wracked with the fury of the storm. Make three wound rolls against the target rather than one.

Do I roll 7 dice to wound (3 for each roll of a 6, 1 for the 5)- this is how I've been doing it up until now.

This is how I interpret it yes. I don't think it is as vague as other confusingly worded abilities.

The 'any' and then the '3 rather than 1' seal the deal for me:

3 to hit rolls, if any hit roll is a 6 make 3 wound rolls rather than 1.

3 instead of 1. Usually 1 hit is 1 wound roll but instead this is 1 hit to 3 wound rolls.

And there is a total potential for 3 hits. Each of those by the grace of a 6 can be 3 wound rolls rather than 1.

12 minutes ago, StealthKnightSteg said:

this could be a bit clearer with the wording 40K has for dice rolling (doing all attacks one by one) and having a piece of text about fast dice rolling.. AoS doesn't have that specific ruling, but you could have that as your logic for doing it as Turragor says

Fun fact, if they bring this in it immediately breaks the castellant buff. It's a better system overall but it's a funny interaction.

Archived