Open War Cards - Building an Army Resource Collection

Open War cards are coming to Age of Sigmar.

With just shy of 1,800 different games using just the basic deployment, objective, and twist cards (and over 60k if one includes Ruse and Sudden Death cards) what list building resources exist and what recommendations do the TGA players have for creating Army lists that meet more of an "all-comers" style of game that has loads of possibilities?

I know that there are multiple different kinds of threats in a game, and choosing how to answer those threats and meet objectives in a game is the challenge.

There are many "use this list for a win" lists out there, and tournament winning lists are more than prevalent on the internet. Especially if one is merely attempting to kill "table your opponent".

Here are some resources I've found useful reading:

Aos-Tactics.com has an article on Building any List in Age of Sigmar:

https://aos-tactics.com/2017/04/22/building-an-army-list/

And AoSShorts.com has a nice Podcast episode on How to Write a Winning Army List in Age of Sigmar:

https://aosshorts.com/write-winning-army-list/

Getting Started with Age of Sigmar: Basic List Building (Frontline Gaming)

https://www.frontlinegaming.org/2017/01/21/getting-started-with-age-of-sigmar-basic-list-building/

What other resources and recommendations does the TGA community members have that they're willing to share?

I was only thinking along this lines earlier on.  We've lots and lots of articles on how to build lists (many of which will be invalidated next week), but relatively few on improving the skill of the general behind an army.  I'm hoping we're going to see a reduction in the usefulness of net lists following the new handbook.

I'd love to see some more articles on theory, preferably with pictures of real boards and models.  Many of the classic tactic style article available use coloured circles and ovals, with nothing to represent scenery or the little nuances of an actual game such as models physically getting in the way (the commonplace "sorry, I keep snagging your model with my models wings" :D).

Oddly something on attitude would also be pretty cool - how do you control the frustration that your general has yet again been removed without him striking a blow and how to avoid it in future games, or have failed to hit with every attack a particular model has made (or how to resist the compulsion to throw said model into a wall).

Perhaps some of the podcasters and bloggers on TGA can help step into the (apparent) void? I'm a fan of AosShorts by [mention=99]Antipodean7[/mention] and a bunch of the other bloggers ... but more knowledge and sharing "why" not just a "this is how it is" :) helps out the community.

Thanks @TheOtherJosh - hope you are enjoying the show.  I do try to focus on the thinking behind gameplay and list design so that it has maximum utility for new situations.  As we have seen with GHB2017, the inputs have changed, but good list design will still consider the same matters. 

@RuneBrush, I share your thoughts about the medium in which this information is conveyed.  If time was limitless, and I could quit the day job, I'd love to do a series of videos with actual models and tables, to illustrate concepts - similar to Rufio's video on piling in that was on Warhammer TV.

Archived