With the next 40k edition coming out I took a fresh look at the game and what models I have collected over the years. I had quite a few chaos models and decided to out together a chaos force.

After reading the rules and seeking the seeker models I decided I wanted to do slaanesh to make sure when I used to army for 40k I wasn't just spoken marines. This lead me down a path of complete lunacy where I started seeing how crab claws every where would suit an ocean theme. Seekers are basically on legged seahorses, tzeench has manta rays and nurgle.. well shellnumemon is a Digimon who's basically a nurgling in a shell so why not? Now it's just building and painting the army. 

First we have the test seeker. This poor dude went from red to budge to brown before I settled on this. I loved how doctor Faust painted his cold ones with his varied scales and i tried it with sea horse colours. It didn't really work so I tried ignoreing them since sea horse patterns do just that... An here we are three hours layer. Polka dot seeker 

Next we have the nurgling. I put them in shells and sculpted around them. Theres twenty on my work bench right now. Some will be slugs, some hermit nurgling, some just faces buried in the sand. The ones pictured as line nurgling but I cut up the swarms into single nurgling. I don't like the swarms for this army and I can turn three bases into about fifteen.. so hey money saving tips..

Finally we have a space marine. But don't lunch me just yet. I wanted to do all the metal rusted. Big hulking rust bucket chaos marines as if the demon ocean world has worn their armour away. I started following a bunch of guides. I discovered the best rust was made by model mates who are now out of business and I spent a fortune on rust products. In the end I ended up with a neat recipe I discovered by accident when air brushing. I had a marine in army painters necrotic flesh and I air brushed rust ink over him. When it settled it popped and looked just how I wanted the rust to look. With that in mind I went back to the painting table. Starting with German camo black brown I then stippled on rust, light rust and orange brown over  a base of Vallejo's weathering texture rust (good stuff but it's a base not a full product). Once that was done I used tank ochre to drybrush it. This paint is the key to the army looking aqautic. It looks just like a pond bottom. If you went to a fish pond kicked up the bottom then bottled it this is what you would get, hence why it's washed onto the seekers base but any way. After that I use necrotic flesh. Stippled dry brush whatever just get it on there. Finally a wash of Vallejo's rust ink (not light or dark) goes over everything. The texture and colours already on give an amazing rust effect. It's perfect for under water rusting although maybe not like old banger in the garage rust. But any metal will be rusty.

The skull shows the general idea for water logged bone. It's just iraqui sand covered with a wash of tank ochre then a sepia and green wash mix. Gives a good impression of where I want to go with this.

Future updates will include sexy Diaz demons. A converted claw pimp and a demon prince with a turbine backpack.

IMG_20170712_163436245.jpg

IMG_20170712_163359296.jpg

IMG_20170712_163123813.jpg

IMG_20170712_163048296.jpg

IMG_20170712_163036482.jpg

IMG_20170712_163021910.jpg

IMG_20170712_163004785.jpg

Archived