Retiring settra to the necropolis (2000pts)

Opposix

Hi guys, since the GH2 points changes to settra I've been toying with the idea of a non settra based list. My regular opponants are all compitent players who take strong lists, not usually the extreme cookie cutter end of the spectrum. Therefore I need my list to be able to compete on this level. I'm looking to try this for a few games see how I get on. 

I'm still relatively new to Aos. Only played 5-10 games or so. All feedback and criticism on the list is very welcome from some more experienced death players/players in general.

Thanks.

Screenshot_20170524-121008.png

Hi guys, managed to get a couple of games in against a friend at warhammer world the other day. The list performed well.

He was using blades of khorne.

Council of blood 

3 bloodthirsters  (one of each type)

Gore pilgrim's

Bloodsecrator 

2 slaughter priests

10 blood warriors x2

10 bloodreavers

GAME 1: ESCALATION

I deployed my 40 skelletons in the centre to challenge the objective, I used the two 10 man units on the flank the try and take the other two. The mourngul was on one flank to support 10 skelletons on the objective. The ushabti on the other flank to support the other 10. I kept the snakes and hero's in the centre behind the big selleton unit ready to pounce later. My opponents put one unit of blood warriors on each flank the reavers In the centre with all the bloodthirsters and hero's in the centre behind them.

His list is two drops and I was given first turn, I buffed my big skeleton block and moved towards all objectives leaving my snakes back ready for a counter charge. His turn he moved his battleline towards the objectives sent one bloodthirster towards the mourngul flank one up the centre and one down the other flank.

Turn two I won priority ( I actually never lost a priority roll this game) I buffed my 40 skelletons and charged them into the reavers in the centre killing them and also covering the objective, the other skelletons got the remaining objectives. The morngul managed to charge the blood warriors with a good roll killing a few and tying them up. Moved up my vamp to keep in range on the skelleton block. Moved up my snakes slightly (I was cautious of getting charged by a thirster) ushabti headed towards the blood warriors on the other flank. BoK turn the blood warriors retreated from the mourngul but couldn't quite reach the skelletons on the objective, the bloodthirster on that flank failed a long charge on the same unit. Blood warriors on the opposite flank charged the 10 skelletons killing all but a few. Slaughter priest pulled the 40 skelletons forward with a prayer and he engaged with the centre thirster. The bloodthirster on the other flank came round to engage the 40 skelletons but failed his charge.

Turn 3 the mourngul charged the blood warriors again killing a few more. The ushabti charged the blood warriors on the other flank to try and save the skelletons killing a few. I had been over cautious with my snakes I wanted to charge the bloodthirster that failed the charge on the big skeleton unit however I needed a 9 and decided against it. The 40 skelletons were still in range of the centre objective so stayed in combat tying up the thirster, the unit was beginning to dwindle (d6 damage really hurts) Bok turn the blood warriors again retreated from the mourngul but we're unable to contest the objective, bloodthirster charged the mourngul. Thirster in the centre finished of the skelletons with some help from the Slaughter priests. The other thirster charged the ushabti unsurprisingly killing them, not before they finished off the blood warriors. 

Turn 4 I finally managed to get my snakes involved. Fully buffed they charged the Slaughter priests in the centre and used their double pile in to finish them and the thirster also getting the objective. The mourngul managed to kill the bloodthirster that charged him with some lucky 6's to get bonus attacks. The 10 skelletons danced around the objective trying to keep away from the last few blood warriors. Bok turn he didn't have much left. He retreated the last bloodthirster onto the flank objective. Charged the blood warriors into the skelletons but with the mourngul debuff he couldn't remove them.

Turn 5 I retreated from the blood warriors staying in range of the objective. Charged in the mourngul. The snakes stayed in the middle to cap, the other thirster was out of the game by this point so I left it alone. BoK turn he had practically nothing left so couldn't really do anything to stop the major at this point.

RESULT: MAJOR VICTORY

I think winning all the priority rolls really helped in this game. Although I feel I played quite well also. The mourngul was a beast and secured a flank the entire game (I knew they were good but I was still surprised) the ushabti were very useful without them the blood warriors on the other flank could have been a real issue, I was pleasantly surprised with their performance tbh! 40 skelletons also performed well I feel like I may use inspiring presence on them more often as battleshock was an issue. The snakes can really kick out the damage! I need to be careful with my positioning as they spent a lot of the game unable to contribute because of my over cautious play. All in all was a really fun game my list performed well and I feel like I learned a lot to take forward.

Hey guys here is game two that I promised been busy lately but I finally found the time.

GAME 2: THREE PLACES OF POWER

My opponent was using the same BoK list from game one above, my list was also unchanged. Generally I have found death struggle with this scenario due the the fragility of most of their hero's so I knew I'd be up against it :S

Deployment:

The chaos dreadhold:overlord bastion was right in the centre of my deployment zone splitting my force. I deployed my 40 skelletons just to the right ready to move up to the centre objective turn 1, I placed one unit of 10 skelletons on each flank to try and contest the other two. My snakes went on the right in between the 40 and 10 man skelleton units, ready to pounce (next to dammed terrain also)
The ushabti and mourngul on the left of the dreadhold with the other 10 man skelleton unit. My vampire I hid behind the dreadhold to cover as many units as possible with ruler or the night, the necrotec and Necromancer sat behind the 40 skelletons ready to buff them or the snakes. The Herald also hid behind the dreadhold more towards the left in hope of moving towards that objective.

My opponent placed his blood secrator just off centre (my left)in some cover with both priests within 8. The reavers also on the left directly behind the objective. One unit of blood warriors on my right and one in the centre. All three blood thirsters deployed together pretty much in the centre behind some cover.

Turn 1: his list being two drops I was given first turn. I buffed up my 40 skelletons with mystic shield, necrotec and vampire command ability. I also summoned a Cairn wraith on the right hand objective just inside some cover (in hindsight this may have been premature) I ran my 40 skelletons forward managing to just get in front of the wraith providing him with a small amount of protection. I moved the snakes up slightly in behind the skelletons ready to counter charge whatever came at them. I moved my vampire to keep ruler of the night in range of the 40 skelletons and my Necromancer and necrotec forwards towards the objectives but behind the skelletons. Everything else moved forwards towards the left and centre objectives I score 1 from the wraith.
His turn 1 he charged all 3 bloodthirsters into the 40 skelletons! Moved the priests towards my left and the centre objectives and the battleline all ran forwards. I foolishly had placed my necrotec too far forwards and took some wounds from the bloodthirsters whip. In combat I took a shedload of damage from the first thirster but reduced it to 2 wounds left with the return attacks from the skelletons. The second thirster again killed a lot of skeletons. The third managed to use his pile in to engage to The wraith, this saved a few skelletons and thanks to the cover the wraith survived on 1 wound! Result! I lost some more skelletons to battleshock  (I should have done inspiring presence)

Turn 2: priority went to my opponent unfortunately, thanks to some errors in my first turn this put me in a bad spot :S he moved one of his priests onto my left hand objective bublewraped in reavers, the other priest moved onto the centre objective 10 blood warriors engaged the mourngul on the left blocking my 10 skeletons and ushabti from getting anywhere by spacing them out in a line. The blood warriors on the right charged the 10 skelletons (I didn't mind this as it kept them busy away from my lines) my Necrotec was finished of by wrath of khorne bloodthirsters mortal wounds (I was kicking myself for this placement mistake) between the bloodthirsters the rest of my 40 man skelletons unit died along with the wraith. This allowed a bloodthister to pile into my Necromancer killing him, I was a little unlucky with saves and his undead minions rule, again another mistake costing me two key buff pieces and heros before turn 2. He scored 2 points left and middle. The mourngul killed a couple of blood warriors.

My turn two, things were not looking good but it was revenge time :) I took damned on my snakes and moved to charge multiple thirsters. I also buffed them with the vamp for extra attacks. The skelletons on the right were holding the blood warriors (I rolled a 6 for my banner) the skelletons on the left and the ushabti were blocked in by the blood warriors thanks to crafty placement by my opponent so they charged in to try and clear a path to the objective. Having lost so many hero's I decided to hide my vamp and Herald behind the dread fort until the board was safer. The snakes charged two thirsters killing the wounded one and also taking down the insentient rage thirster. With the damned and extra attacks they were lethal! The mourngul, ushabti and skelletons managed to kill off the blood warriors.

Turn 3: I lost the priority roll again....this was putting the game further and further out of reach for me :S he decided to move his last thirster away from the objective on my right to charge the snakes. I had managed to get my snakes in base to base with his priest on the centre objective and he didn't retreat to try and stay capping. The blood warriors were still tied up with the 10 skelletons on the right, these guys just would not go down! He left his other priest on my left objective and completely surrounded him with reavers. In combat I lost one snake to the thirster the return attacks killing him outright and also taking out the priest on the centre objective. (The damned and extra attacks still buffing them)He scored only on the left.
My turn 3: things were starting to look better for me but I was well behind on points. I flew my vampire onto the centre objective and moved the snakes to kill off the blood warriors on the right. The mourngul charged the bloodsecrator and the ushabti, herald and remaining 10 man skelletons moved over towards the left  in a desperate attempt to salvage something from the game...i charged the reavers with the ushabti killing most of them the but they were still preventing me getting to the priest. The mourngul fluffed his attacks and the bloodsecrator passed his saves due to the cover. The snakes finished off the blood warriors easily but now were out of the game on the far right flank.

Turn 4: again I lost priority, this was a recurring pattern in this game. I finished of the reavers in  the combat phase with the ushabti freeing them up to charge the priest on the objective in my turn, again The mourngul fluffed his attacks(I just couldn't kill this bloodsecrator..) My turn 4, the vampire stayed on the centre objective scoring me some points. The ushabti charged the priest did a few wounds but failed to kill him off and he removed one ushabti with his axe. The Herald continued to make a last ditch dash for the left hand objective. Could I pull something back after a poor start?

Turn 5: I won priority! Finally!!!! No really it actually happened! I killed the priest with the two remaining ushabti moved onto to left objective with my Herald the vampire continued to cap in the middle. The mourngul still failed to kill the bloodsecrator thanks to  some truly abysmal rolling over multiple turns...at this point it didn't matter. The game finished 8 points all, miraculously I had scraped it back to a draw.

RESULT:DRAW

In the end I was pleased with a draw. Considering the mistakes I made early on losing 3 hero's before my 2nd turn I couldn't believe it. The snakes cleaned up in this game killing all three bloodthirsters 10 blood warriors and a priest this is what swung it back around for me I believe. In hindsight I think I need to use inspiring presence on my big skeleton unit more often. I also could have committed more towards the slaughter priest on the left towards the end. If I had killed him sooner maybe I could even have won. All in all another very enjoyable game and definitely a lot of lessons learned for the the future mainly keep those hero's safe ffs.

More games to come guys. Really enjoying playing death and this list in particular. Let me know if your enjoying hearing about it. 

:)

Thanks for taking the time to read them. It's always nice to get a result with death it feels more hard earned compared to a lot of other factions or maybe that's just me :P

As for changes I've had a few thoughts. My tomb Herald had been largely useless in both games. In theory he is good as he gets me a snake back each turn however I've found I haven't needed it at all with the banner in the unit and the option to use a spell to res one, not sure what the points would be better spent on though...also if I take him out I feel I may regret it in some games. Another idea I've been toying with was swapping the mourngul for a warsphinx and 3 sport hosts. However the mourngul is a beast and I'm reluctant to drop him, he is also my only source of rend 2 currently.

I'll probably play a few more games as is and see has it goes before I change anything.

Any thoughts from the community? All input is very welcome :)

I'm gonna have a look at your reports later today, but I think the Necro Knights got the worse end of the deal compared to Settra. A Settra list with regular Deathrattle will still be really strong, but I don't think a Necro Knight list without Settra is very competitive anymore. If you're keeping one of the two, I would definitely stick with Settra.

Having played a few games with settra I agree he is amazing. The buffs he kicks out are possibly some of the best in all of aos! I tended to find he would attract a lot of attention due to this, forcing me to keep him out of harms way for most of the game. It felt like a waste of a powerful and expensive model at times. Another problem I had was if he did die the rest of my army became so much weaker and i would pretty my auto lose the game.

The snakes can still be very strong without him. Using the vampires +1 attack along with the necrotec re roll and the Necromancer spell for double pile in they can still kick out a shedload of damage, if you play around damned terrain or even mystical this can improve further.

Settra may still be on the cards for future games but for now I'm gonna try this for a few more games. 

Archived