Skirmish Dwarf list viability

TyrantOnTheHill

My local shop is starting a Skirmish campaign this week, I'm bringing my dwarves but aren't sure of what exactly to bring for 30 renown.

My first thought was a warden lord, 2 longbeards, and a Thunderer, but in a few test matches they seem to be too few and without eno hitting power (aside from the warden lord)

My second thought was to do a slayer kinband of an unforged (the skull pass dragon slayer) and 5 of the original slayers (counts as vulkite berzerkers for points). Which should hit strong and have a few more numbers for objectives, the only problem being their weak saves.

Anyone have some experience with dwarves in Skirmish and have any tips?

Thanks!

I actually did some skirmish tonight with a dwarf warband. We played 50 points (getting our feet wet) and I made a list of:

-warden king

-1 longbeard champion

-3 hammerers (1 champ)

-2 quarrellers

-4 arkonauts (1 champ, 1 skyhook cannon, 1 aethermatic volleygun, 1 skypike)

I played a match against Khorne and a match against Tzeentch. Luckily I won both, but they were hard fought and some dice rolls could've changed them both.

Having said that I believe dwarves have a lot of potential with our strong ranged attacks (both matches ended because of warband routing rather then objectives) to take some enemy forces down while also granting "kill zones" for area denial.

As stated Hammerers were quite strong from what I noticed as well!

A major weakness on one level is beside some heroes almost everything is 1 wound so we lose models and possibly entire facets (such as all of our armed support) quite quickly. Also, which is different as a dwarf army, we can be a bit more of a swarm army then some other war bands.

We are about to start a skirmish campaign so I'll have more advice after that, but I'd strongly grabbing at least some ranged forces. Your unforged can have some quarreller rangers guiding him to whatever beast they are hunting for fluff purposes.

Hope some of this helps!

Unforged against Chaos is insane! As I can attest as the subject of that onslaught. 

Also an ironbreaker can be hard to shift and the champion with the bomb has a great one hit suprise. 

A thunderer champion with two pistols had also its moments. He used him as a backup to some Warriors. So sitting slightly behind them and shooting them. 

Personally I expected the cogsmith as hero. It's slightly cheaper than the lord, meaning more troops and less problems with routing. Loosing your unforged general ( 6+ save, it's going to happen) was disastrous for my opponent. The warden king looks very solid but is 24 reknown. Which could hurt you in the beginning of the campaign. The cogsmith however can stay a little behind the battle line and still be deadly. 

But to be fair. I only played against the unforged so the rest is an estimation on my part. 

Archived