Ironjawz vs Balewind

Fungrim

Just finished watching the Warhammer TV match from Warhammer fest where a Gordrakk Ironfist took on a Tzeentch Changehost.

The alpha strike balewind Changeling-to-LoC was horrible. Surprised they put the game on to be honest, it was a forgone conclusion from the outset considering Ironjawz have no shooting and this list in particular didn't even have a Shaman.

Made me itchy! I've been fortunate enough not to face a balewind yet, but wondered what folks' experiences against them are like? Is our only option as Ironjawz to play avoidance and hope the long range spells don't do too much damage?

I think the best avoidance is to spot that player before they spot you. 

When you spot them put your phone to your ear An say "ok honey I'm leaving the club now" then break in to a sprint An get out of there!!

29 minutes ago, Tom said:

I think the best avoidance is to spot that player before they spot you. 

When you spot them put your phone to your ear An say "ok honey I'm leaving the club now" then break in to a sprint An get out of there!!

xDxD genius. We can close this thread now!

The best solution is to take the moral high ground, knowing that they are cheating by "not avin a fight coz they is scared of ow big you iz", then charge at them and kill the rest of their army.

To be honest, I don't vary my tactics against an balewind any more than I do against anything else. Ironjawz have one main tactic, which is to go second, hope to get a double turn and kill enough of their army that they can't really contest. The same is true with a balewind on the field.

40 minutes ago, Solaris said:

The best solution is obviously to bring a Balewind of your own, together with a big, mean Weirdfist. Let that pesky LoC eat a few 36"+ Foot of Gork stomps, and he will not be so cocky.

Iv tried a balewind. Used it at scgt. Sadly does not work. Your shaman becomes a pin cushion turn one. 

Depending on the scenario, I'd be tempted to swamp the LoC with any expendable units (Ardboys or Gruntas), so if he's sitting on the objective he has to kill those off first to be able to claim.

Then conveniently move rapidly in the opposite direction (read here: 'run away') with everything else, contesting the stuff on the opposite side and in hope of smashing up the remainder of the tricksy little magic fiends.

Alternatively we bombard GW with desperate pleas for ranged Ironjawz. Preferably written in 'orruk' language and using words cut out of old magazines.

9 minutes ago, Tom said:

Iv tried a balewind. Used it at scgt. Sadly does not work. Your shaman becomes a pin cushion turn one. 

Then your balls were not big, green and mean enough. More balls and more battle brew will surely solve the problem!

I was going to call a rules flag on the LoC being on the Balewind, due to it having the Monster profile. Then I read them, and noticed that it just precludes the LoC from knowing the spell. So, through clever use of a loophole, utilizing the Changehost battalion, it's legal.

I guess the best way to fight it is to avoid it, or possibly take the first turn and with clever positioning get a hero close enough to the Changeling to detect and then kill it. The LoC can't move off the Balewind Vortex, due to having to dismiss it before it can move. I think it'll be a rules question if it can dismiss it without knowing the spell...

Agreed though. Without a Weirdnob, I don't think there' s a way to fight the tactic once in place, with a pure Ironjawz army.

I was going to call a rules flag on the LoC being on the Balewind, due to it having the Monster profile. Then I read them, and noticed that it just precludes the LoC from knowing the spell. So, through clever use of a loophole, utilizing the Changehost battalion, it's legal.

This looks like a dubious bit of rules lawyering to get around the clear purpose of the amendment to the rules of the Balewind Vortex (that monster heroes could not use it). Similarly Kairos or even Nagash technically know the spell from other nearby wizards.

The rules writers took a short cut by restricting who could cast the spell, rather than who could be on the Balewind.

I banned this in my house rules for an event at the South London Legion:

15 hours ago, Nico said:

This looks like a dubious bit of rules lawyering to get around the clear purpose of the amendment to the rules of the Balewind Vortex (that monster heroes could not use it). Similarly Kairos or even Nagash technically know the spell from other nearby wizards.

The rules writers took a short cut by restricting who could cast the spell, rather than who could be on the Balewind.

I banned this in my house rules for an event at the South London Legion:

Thankfully you'd imagine we won't see *too* much of it, as quite a few armies (in our current shooting meta) would just lay waste to the LoC within a turn or so. It's only really folks like us Ironjawz who will suffer from it *plays the worlds' smallest, ugliest, out-of-tune violin*

Archived