Stormfiends Question

punkisdead

I'm finally getting around to assembling some Stormfiends and I'm wondering what weapons people like to model them with. It seems like warp fire projectors is the preferred weapon load out vs wind launchers, but what about the others?

Given that if I ran them in a Clan Skryre list, there's really no reason to model the one with grinderfists as the warp grinder team already does that job better, and ratling cannons puts out a crap ton of potential shots at decent range.

As far as doomflayer gauntlets vs shock gauntlets, I'm not sure though. It seems like the potential D6 wounds from the shock guantlets would be nice, but how does it stack up against the potential extra attacks, potential extra damage and 2+ to hit on the charge? 

From what I can tell with the current rulings most people prefer to go 3x Warpfire projectors, but I for one have been trying to get a hold of some warpfire projector for a bit over 2 months now and couldn't find any online whatsoever.

But from what I've read online is that Ratling cannons are indeed the better choice, so I guess thats a good option for the 2nd stormfiend. Especially if you have Sayl the Faithless I don't think you really need a grinderfist to begin with in other lists either.

As for doomflayer gauntlets or shock gauntlets, I think it narrows down to wether you want to hit hard or hit reliably. Doomflayer gauntlets seem to be more reliable than shock gauntlets on average.

I'm personally aiming for a 2nd Stormfiend box soon and planning to go:

2x warpfire, 1x Doomflayer gauntlets (or a 3rd warpfire if i can get a hold of some bits, tempted to butcher some warpfire weapon teams for their projectors haha)

2x Ratling + Grinderfist

So i can sayl the first unit and unborrow the second. I play verminus myself though.

4 minutes ago, Kugane said:

From what I can tell with the current rulings most people prefer to go 3x Warpfire projectors, but I for one have been trying to get a hold of some warpfire projector for a bit over 2 months now and couldn't find any online whatsoever.

But from what I've read online is that Ratling cannons are indeed the better choice, so I guess thats a good option for the 2nd stormfiend. Especially if you have Sayl the Faithless I don't think you really need a grinderfist to begin with in other lists either.

As for doomflayer gauntlets or shock gauntlets, I think it narrows down to wether you want to hit hard or hit reliably. Doomflayer gauntlets seem to be more reliable than shock gauntlets on average.

I'm personally aiming for a 2nd Stormfiend box soon and planning to go:

2x warpfire, 1x Doomflayer gauntlets (or a 3rd warpfire if i can get a hold of some bits, tempted to butcher some warpfire weapon teams for their projectors haha)

2x Ratling + Grinderfist

So i can sayl the first unit and unborrow the second. I play verminus myself though.

Yeah, unfortunately in order to run 3 of a single weapon, you need 3 boxes. With one box you only get to build:

• Doomflayer Gauntlets OR Shock Gauntlets
  • Warp Fire Projector OR Wind Launcher
  • Ratling Cannons OR Grinderfist

What I was thinking would be a good option is with 2 boxes you could do one unit with 2x Warpfire and a Doomflayer Gauntlet and one unit with 2x Ratling Cannons and a Doomflayer Gauntlet.

I think since you use Skyre that is probably a good choice. That way you don't need to do any conversions either, unless if you plan to mix stuff a bit for fluff reasons. I may go the same path as you with mine.

Another thing I was considering, but not sure if its allowed, is to put 1 weapon of each kind on a model. For example build a stormfiend with 1 arm a ratling gun and the other a warpfire projector, that way you can specify which weapon you plan to use for that unit.

The other thing I'm afraid of and having a feeling that may happen pretty soon is that GW may change the rules for stormfiends and limit them to 1 warpfire projector per unit. 3 Warpfire teams seem to be a bit too broken to be left untouched in the next rules touchup. I would assume stormfiends would be a candidate for such a "Nerf" considering it doesn't seem particularly intended for us to run 3 Warpfire Projector teams to begin with.

Archived