Soulblight Info

Lord Graves

Hey everyone! 

Been looking into what I want to start focusing on for competitive play and I am starting to lean toward a really aggressive Soulblight list. I am not looking for any huge models so I want to keep it no larger than maybe a nightmare or felbat.

Here is what I am thinking so far. Please let me know the ups and downs of the following list.

Tactic: Flank - I'll be putting both lords and both units of Blood knights on the far flank and spread out my two units of bat swarms. The knights will pick units and charge. The swarms are there to prevent swamping on the knights. The knights, coupled with the two vampire lord command abilities will have 4 lance and 3 nightmare attacks on the charge. This will come out to 40 lance attacks at 3+/3+/-1/D3 per unit that does not include the vampires which can both cast either snipe lords with double arcane bolt, add defense with mystic shields on the knight units or drop spirit blight on killy-targets to help the bat swarms endure. I will get a blood knight back each turn if one is dead, every unit in the army heals wounds if it deals any wounds, the lord with the tomb blade could heal two wounds if needed. I would like to get my swarms up to eight bases each but that will have to be for higher point games.

General - Vampire Lord - Supernatural Horror + Nightmare + Ring of Immortality

Vampire Lord - Nightmare + Tomb Blade(if I can have a second artifact)

Blood Knights x10 - HB + SB

Blood Knights x10 - HB + SB

Bat Swarms x6 

Bat Swarms x6

Something else I've been contemplating is throwing the Black Amulet onto the second lord if allowed. Charging a soft unit with the knights to get a really good over-kill score then use the amulet to drop 10-18 wounds on something dangerous in my opponent's army. I don't really see a good use for the other artifacts outside of those three. 

Anyway.. Eager to hear some feedback. Are there enough knights in the two knight units to make them killy enough? Should I just focus on one death start and make one unit 15 knights with both vampires and use the other 5 man unit of knights to harrass/tar pit? Should I also do that with the Swarms? Maybe make one unit with 8 bases and the other with four?

Just couple points from what I see.

match play you will need 3 battle line units to play this amount of points and you only have 2 there.

blood Knights in groups of 10 may not get all attacks in, they cover a big area

if playing objectives you rely on blood Knights to do the killing and have 10 blood Knights go for a objective could be a waste

Ohhh! I was not aware of that.. hmm... Maybe the Star list will be better. Let me see what I can do here. 

Vamp Lord (Gen) - Supernatural Horror + Nightmare + RoI

Vamp Lord - Nightmare + Tomb Blade or Black Amulet

Blood Knightsx10

Blood Knights x5

Blood Knights x5

Bat Swarms x6

Bat Swarms x6

I don't really like the two small knight units... but they still hit like trucks on the charge and replace a model on my hero phases. Gives me one more unit on the table. Maybe I should drop the vamp lords in the smaller units of blood knights as the 10 man blood knight unit should be strong enough to rip through most things with 30 3+/3+/-1/D3 attacks on the charge then all the mount attacks. Just worried the knights will be bogged down in something like a large unit of shield warriors or something. I'll have to make sure to toss a bat swarm into those units so I can nullify my opponents anvil. 

Yeah list is better split like that, still feel 10 is too much but that's just my opinion.

10 blood Knights as mentioned will just get focused on being slowed down and giving cheap units to and will be hard to move around them due to taking so much room remember pile in and some of them might not be able to hit. I wanted to do big units too but found out it doesn't work. I now just use 2x5 blood Knights 

5 models of Blood Knights is very spot on for the efficieny of the unit:

-They have a total of 15 wounds, which has a good save especially against attacks without rend
-Can attack a much larger unit without getting attacked back by the majority if they flank the unit
-5 models can strike most of the time but if you gor for the 10, 4 or 5 of them would not be able to strike, so become largely useless except for extra wounds
-You still regerenate 1 model from a 10 model unit, while you will regen 2 from 2x5 units.

Excellent points. Maybe I should run 3 units of blood knights, pick up a third vamp lord an some extra bat swarms for controlling the board. Not sure about the cost here...

would this work in a 2k list?

vamp lord x3 

blood knight unit(5man) x3

bat swarm unit(6man) x3

thank you everyone for the help so far!

I like this as a List:

Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon (440) General Trait: Ruler of the Night. Artifact: Sword of Unholy Power

Isabella (80)

Vampire Lord on Abyssal Terror (220)

3x5 Blood Knights (780)

Reinforcement Pool: 480

With a Pool like this you can do some really cool summoning tricks, whether you summon a Balewind Vortex with Isabella and summon out chaff, objective holding units or a unit or two of Morghast Harbingers who can deal a lot of Alpha Strike Damage. Further to this you could Auto Summon the big bad Mourngul and have 80 points to throw skellies onto an Objective late game.

Obviously the Terror Provides you movement bonus and shenanigans and Isabella has some neat tricks. You could also potentially flood the board with Chaff and objective holders while your elite stuff romps around looking to put a hurting on the opponent.

Obviously this list is very susceptible to Alpha strike/Mortal wound abuse; however deploy right and you could be on to a winner.

2 hours ago, TDK said:

Obviously this list is very susceptible to Alpha strike/Mortal wound abuse; however deploy right and you could be on to a winner.

I think this is one of my big problems with Soulblight lists. With so many alpha strike lists floating around, all your power would get blasted off by the end of turn two.

It needs chaff to provide some sort of buffer, but then you're no longer straight Soulblight (which may not necessarily be the end of the world). I'd probably want to take 180 pts out of the summoning pool and drop 3x10 zombies in a bubble just as a precaution.

Hmmm... Not really wanting to summon unit and I don't want anything larger than a horse. This is mainly for traveling purposes but I also don't really like giant miniatures.

the reason I don't want to summon is that it can be blocked and failed. Kind of like waiting for reserves in 40k. It is too risky for an elite army.

Thank you everyone for the suggestions and help. I'll try and get some batreps up in the future. 

Archived