Seraphon Musing

Slave2Chaos

Is it possible to run a Seaphon list, 1500-2k points, without Saurus and remain semi competitive in matched play? Skinks for battline then maybe some Krox, and all the dinos .... cause you know .... DINOSAURS! 

This mainly comes from an aesthetic point of view, as I'm really not a fan of the plaseatic Saurus models (carnosaur old blood being an exception). I know there's a formation associated with them but all I hear about is unkillable templeguard, and besides the laser beam bastilladon the Dino's are meh (looking at you mr carnosaur).

So what's y'alls thoughts on the matter?

Yes skinks are completely viable! Bastiladon, stegadon and engine of the gods all have the key word skinks. A skinks priest makes a bastiladon is so hard to kill. Stegadon's alpha skink can taget the bastiladon making it move D6 and reroll 1s. skinks chief can give +1 to hit making the bastiladon or a unite of 30+ skinks hit on 1's. This pairs well with the many abilites that make you reroll 1's.

The shadowstrike starhost is our strongest formation. Ripperdactyls can tear apart almost any unit which is great against key u it's like special characters or skyfires. You are almost always going to take a skinks priest and the skinks are your battleline. It works out really well.

Temple guard are not as great as they seem on paper. You think that a 2+ save that can easily become reroll able is powerful but there is so much moral wounds going around that they just die to quick. It's sad really and the formation turns into a trap.

Absolutely, skink are probably the best battleline in order. You just need to play them right. A couple of quick and dirty lists:
Leaders
Engine of the Gods (240)
- Artefact: Phoenix Stone
Lord Kroak (540)
- General

Battleline
10 x Skinks (80)
- Boltspitters & Star Bucklers
10 x Skinks (80)
10 x Skinks (80)