Decade away and I've returned to play! 2'000pts Stormcast Eternals

Greshym

After a long time out of the hobby, I lost the motivation to build, paint, etc. I recently got back into the game with the help of my best friend and the AoS starter set.

I was a dedicated Skaven and Tomb Kings player for a long time but the way the game played, especially in competitive play, was getting very cookie cutter with lists and I eventually lost the feeling of enjoyment I had and drifted out of the playing side of the hobby, which eventually impacted on my building and painting output until it ground down to nothing!

After only playing the scenarios from the starter box I can say I've got the fever again and I'm now a converted Stormcast follower! So I went out and picked up the Stormcast book from my local GW, handily located across from my work, and started scouring the net for lists and inspiration on what to take, what do the top players take and what is winning at the moment?? Thanks to stumbling across Baddice I was able to find almost all the lists I could handle and eventually, with my head full of ideas, I wandered back in to ask my local GW manager "what are the power lists? What are the cheesy beard, but not my beard is made of cheese, lists?" And he, thankfully confirmed a lot of my mental theories. 

One thing I did notice during my reading, and was so happy about, was the lack of standard "take x amount of this, this and this and you win easy". So after a very late night I finally bashed together a list I felt comfortable with. Now by all means it doesn't mean I know how to field this list as it was made up of what I liked visually, what I felt would work well together and what I felt would put out good, consistent damage. 

Without further ado, my list

Stormcast Eternals 2000pts

Leaders

Lord Celestant on Dracoth- General, Sigmarite Thundershield, Shielded by Faith, Fang of Dracothian, Keen Clawed and Tempestos Hammer

Lord Castellant

Lord Relictor

Knight Azyros

Knight Venator

Battleline 

5x Judicators- Prime, Shockbolt Bow and Skybolt Bows

5x Judicators- Prime, Shockbolt Bow and Skybolt Bows

5x Liberators- Prime, Grandhammer, Warhammers and Sigmarite Shields

Other Units

2x Fulminators

3x Prosecutors with Stormcall Javelins- Prime and Stormcall Trident

3x Prosecutors with Stormcall Javelins- Prime and Stormcall Trident

5x Retributors- Prime and 2x Starsoul Mace

3x Vanguard Raptors with Longstrike Crossbows- Prime

3x Vanguard Raptors with Longstrike Crossbows- Prime

Now by no means is this a list set in stone, the only Stormcast models I own are the contents of the starter box set and a box of Judicators. Also I was unable to decide what extra prayer for my Relictor. 

So the advice/responses I would be looking for are;

What's good and bad about the list?

How would you deploy/play this list if you had to?

What prayer should I take for my Relictor and how should it be used?

Is their a better size for any unit I've taken or any unit I should do without?

I will be wanting to play this list at my local gaming club, where my name and face have passed into legend, so it would be nice to be able to rock up and play a strong army with strong tactics. Lot of the guys in my club play in a lot of tournaments at GW headquarters and place high, usually top 3, but that's usually in 30k and 40k so I'm waiting for the new edition before I dip my toe back in that pond. But best of all they are a great bunch who I miss and I'd like to show my face with a little confidence that I won't make a complete fool of myself, dice gods permitting.

If you've made it this far, thank you for reading through the slab of text and I hope to hear back from as many of you as possible, I spent a week lurking before taking the plunge and signing up because this is honestly one of the most polite forums I've ever seen.

Welcome and glad to have you aboard!

The first thing that struck me about your list is that you are two units of Aetherwings (or 120 pts) away from an Aetherstrike Force.  It's out of the new Battletome that's only a couple months old, so it hasn't seen really extensive play yet.  But there has been plenty of discussion and theorycrafting on this thread and it seems pretty powerful.

Your list is nice and well-rounded, looks like it would be a lot of fun to play.  You'll also have something to do in every phase, which is great.

As for prayers on your Relictor, I'd go with either Lightning Chariot for the movement shenanigans, or Bless Weapons to make your hittiest units hittier.  

Also, Paladins are great, but they're a bit of a glass cannon.  They sort of feel like the odd men out in this list.  They might be a good candidate to drop so you can fit the Aetherwings in.

Thanks for the advice, I looked in to the Aetherstrike formation and the Aetherwings and got to say I see why people think the may be worth it. Since it saves me money on buying a box of Paladins too then it's a win win for me and my bank. 

Spent most of today painting up my Lord on Dracoth and I like the paint scheme I'm going for, just need to pick up a couple of colours 

• 4 weeks later...

Archived