Blood Court

BDJames

So, I'm intrigued by Neferata's Blood Court.  It has many of my favorite models:. Neferata, Morghasts, and the Coven Throne.

Im wondering how well it works as a formation, and what you could add to it to keep the theme, while being useful additions, aiming for a SCGT type 150 pool choices to work with.

Any thoughts?

I've not played it personally but from what I remember it certainly makes Neferata a lot more survivable. I would probably add more Morghasts, Blood Knights, maybe some spirits and another vampire/necromancer for more casting?

Both the vampire lord on the zombie dragon, as well as the coven throne, which are each required for the Blood Court, are wizards.  Plus, of course, Neferata herself.  You think I need more than that?

I was thinking two units of two Morghasts each.  Much more than that is very pricey under the SCGT comp.  I agree on the blood knights, those would be great.  I wish they had models for them in something other than finecast....

Sorry didn't realise the coven throne was also a caster (I've never played one), in that case you'd be fine without anything else.

The Blood Knights you could convert from other things? There a few different models from the GW range you could kit bash, Cold One Knights, Dragon Princes, Chaos Knights maybe?

Vargheists are also pretty good  

It works very well as a formation, but has two crucial weaknesses. One is that it  is hugely expensive for a limited amount of models. Your army will be hard hitting, but small. The force also needs to be concentrated. Your dragon will be running around separately, but otherwise the formation has to stay together. Thankfully it all moves quite fast. If you use it, you will find yourself outmanoeuvred and struggling to capture multiple objectives.

What you'll want depends on the games you're playing. If you play SCGT/Clash/tournament scenarios, you'll want some objective grabbers. Death has no lack of them, but your best bet is probably Black Knights. They are terrible in combat, but very tanky. As long as a single model survives, the unit will contest an objective. They're also fast, so they'll be contesting things very quickly.

Blood Knights are another excellent addition. Fast, punchy and tanky. Not much else to say, really.

Spirit Hosts are great in every Death army. Not as fast, but are ethereal and deal mortal wounds. Hybrid Mortal Wound dealers, tanks and objective grabbers.

Archived