Necrosphinx and Death Alliance Save

swordhelm

Question

Hey everyone,

New to this community but have played since the game came out. I had a question about the Necrosphinx half wound ability. When you half the wounds, do you take the Death save before the wounds are halved or after they are halved? Example, you have 8 wounds to check. Do you take 4 then roll your Death Alliance save? Or do you roll your Death Alliance save for 8 and then halve the result? This also goes for other models that get multiple saves and reductions. Just want to clear it up and apologies if it's been asked before. 

4 answers to this question

Sacred War Statue: Halve any wounds or mortal wounds inflicted on a Necrosphinx (rounding fractions up).

No mention of "damage". Both effects trigger at the same time — when wounds are inflicted.

So as per the Hints & Tips section in most battletomes, the player who controls the ability gets to decide.

I could be wrong, but I think the Death player will usually want to apply Deathless Minions first when taking an odd number of wounds, Sacred War Statue for an even number.

Ugh, got confused with the Stonehorn.
Which, now I look at it, says "damage or mortal wounds".
Which just muddies the waters somewhat, what with mortal wounds causing damage...! [emoji15]

GW exhibiting the semantic control of a conspiracy vlogger once more...

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

@BaldoBeardo yeah, the Stonehorn wording doesn't really makes sense: Rules-As-Written you should maybe apply it before taking armour saves, but that falls apart if you're struck by weapons with different Rend characteristics.

The Necrosphinx works pretty well by RAW, you just have to remember that "To Wound" rolls don't actually cause wounds, and that actual "Wounds" don't occur until the "Inflict Damage" section, which only triggers after a unit has made all of its attacks...

Archived