Baron Krozis Darkheart "the Soul Reaper" Death 2k List - Advice Needed

Lord Cedric

I am building my first ever tourney competitive army list for Matched Play for Adepticon. I'm not looking to win as much as I am going for the experience as not only is it my first tourney but also my first time going to Adepticon. 

That said, I'd like to at least make a competitive game for my opponents as well as both of us having fun. 

I will be taking Death army Grand Alliance with a heavy Flesh Eater Courts theme but not solely. My original list was basically 2 different armies combined... a VC on ZD, Necro and skeletons and Spirit Hosts and then a Ghoul King on Terrorgheist with Ghouls, Crypt Horrors, and a Mourngul with a couple other heroes. I played that multiple times and though it was fun, it didn't have enough synergy in my opinion. So I decided I'd try to go more Flesh Eater Courts heavy with a smidgeon of the bonerattlers. Ideally I'd really like Spirit Hosts to get included.. they are just cool models and like their rend negation. Here's what I came up with and would like input from those much better than me at playing in a competitive setting:

400 Baron Krozis Darkheart "the Soul Reaper": Abhorrant Ghoul King on Terrorgeist - General
160 Varghulf Courtier
120 Necromancer
120 Crypt Haunter Courtier

300 Crypt Ghouls x 30
80  Skeleton Warriors x10 (ancient blades and shields)
80  Skeleton Warriors x10 (ancient blades and shields)

400 Mourngul

280 Crypt Horrors x6
60  Dire Wolves x5

TOTAL 2000 points 

Any thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

- Cedric

I'm no high-ranking competitive player but I agree with above, take more ghouls. It'll give you a chance to use a battalion which might give you some more options tactics-wise (especially with more and more gunlines showing up)

Just some other things to think about:

How are you loading out your GKoT, heroes?

Is the mournghul for summoning?

I would be wary about small 10 man skellie teams in 2k games, they can easily get wiped out in a single round of combat pretty much negating the use of them in the first place. They really need to be in blocks of at least 30 to do pose any real threat. If you do decide to keep the skeletons at least have some spears, that extra inch of reach makes a big difference and you'll probably get the +1 to hit for the heroes in range.  

Thank you both for replying! Much appreciated.

Why skeletons? Im old school I guess and when I think Undead, I think of them first. Plus I like the models. But my answer seems more fluffy than competitive so thank you for suggestion.

No, the Mourngul isnt for summoning. I am not keen on summoning as its a high risk high reward and if my wizards die and I haven't summoned yet, its lost points. I suppose thats where practice comes into play but competitively speaking, im rather new to summoning.

Yeah, I didnt really consider 10 blocks being innefective in a 2k game. Im from Warhammer Fantasy so use to different tactics. For me, it's hard to come up with the right balance for battle lines as choices are rather limited without spamming one type of model.

Wow, so much to think about. Thank you both once again.

- Cedric

Sent from my SM-T377P using Tapatalk

Archived