2000 pt Beastclaw Army - Is it any good?

HeadHunter

I really like the Mournfangs so I wanted to see if this army idea is feasible:

Eurlbad

Huskard on Stonehorn

Stonehorn Beastriders

2 Mournfang Packs (4 riders each)

Skal

Icebrow Hunter

3 Frostsaber packs (2 cats each)

I haven't played any games yet, just trying to get an idea of how I should build my box set and what other purchases I should make.

This is a nice list which has a lot of strength and only a few weaknesses. A few comments:

The good:

- stonehorns!!! These are fantastic at wound absorption and dealing damage, the ability to run and charge together with rampaging means you will get to your opponent quickly.

- The army is a two drop. This gives you a good chance for the first turn to help you dominate the field.

- the skal formation. Also great due to being able to deploy the hunter exactly where he can be the most annoying.

The bad:

- mournfang. Sorry, they are beautiful models but overcosted. 

- lack of dominance in the shooting and magic phase.

Suggestion:

Reduce the units of mournfang to 2 each and put in a huskard on thundertusk. He gives you the sweet shooting attack, a bit more mortal wound output, the ability to have healing in the hero phase and your army only becomes one drop larger. You also have points to add more sabretusks as chaff/charge blockers.

Hope this helps

Drops refers to deployment. At the start of the game you and your opponent rolls a dice, and the winner of the roll of picks a side of the battlefield and set up their first unit. You then alternate setting up units, and the player that finishes first gets to decide on who gets the first turn in game. Now, normally you deploy one unit at a time. However, when you have battalions, you can deploy the whole battalion at the same time. So while most armies have somewhere between 5-11 units to set up, you only have 2. This means that 90% of the time you decide if you want to go first or second in the game.

Archived