Help With Choosing A verm

Flood

Hi everyone,

I am putting together a few 2k Skaven lists. In doing so, I've come across an obstacle as to which Verminlord to use. The issue is that I have 2 lists, one is a less competitive and more fun list with Thanquol and Boneripper, and the other is a more serious practical list based around the Verminus Clawpack. The challenge is that I want to use the Verminlord Deceiver to Skitter Leap Thanquol, as well as for his -3 rend, but it seems like the Verminlord Warbringer is more effective for the Verminus list, with the use of death frenzy and even his Tyrants of Battle command ability if I decide I don't want to take Tretch Craventail (I don't have the model, and I feel weird using a proxy. This is the same reason I don't include Sayl The Faithless :( ). 

I've considered magnetizing the Verminlord's arms, but I'm afraid of the huge gap it will leave between the arm and shoulder joint - I don't think that will look too great, but I've never seen it in person and have only seen it in pictures. If it does leave the gap that I think it will leave, I think this will ultimately end up bothering me to the point that I wished I hadn't done it. I also don't feel too great about drilling into my US $90 model. Furthermore, I'd probably build the Warbringer with the Warpseer head, but I think the Deceiver arms look really funky with the large horns. It just doesn't look very, Deceiverish. The Warbringer arms also looks funky with the Deceiver head! There's no winning here! In the end, I think I'll have to choose between one of the two - the Deceiver or the Warbringer. I've had the kit for months now but haven't built it because I'm so indecisive... each day that goes by, I tell myself I'll build the other one. What are your thoughts on this? Do you think the Deceiver is just as viable in the Verminus Clawpack list? Does the Warbringer bring a lot more synergy to the list? 

Below are the lists that I would like to alternate using. As mentioned, one is a less serious mincore that I realize won't perform well in objective based scenarios, while the other is a more all around list that can do well in all the GH objectives, I think?

List 1: The Thanquol and Boneripper / Deceiver list. 

Leaders: 3/6
Battelines: 4
Behemoths: 2/4
Artillery: 1/4
                                                                                    Models, Wounds, Points
  • Thanquol and Boneripper                                                                        13, 500
  • Verminlord Deceiver                                                                     12, 320
  • Arch Warlock                                                                                  6, 140
  • Clanrats                                                                                             10, 10, 60
  • Clanrats                                                                                             10, 10, 60
  • Stormfiends                                                                                     3, 18, 300
  • Warp Grinder Weapon Team                                                       1, 2, 100
  • Stormvermin                                                                                   20, 20, 280
  • Warp Lightning Cannon                                                                              6    180 

Wounds: 108, Points :2000

List 2: Verminus Clawpack / Warbringer List

Leaders: 4/6
Battelines: 3
Behemoths: 1/4
Artillery: 1/4
                                                                                    Models, Wounds, Points
  • Skaven Warlord                                                                              13, 500
  • Verminlord Warbringer                                                               12, 320
  • Arch Warlock                                                                                  6, 140
  • Warlock Engineer                                                                           5, 100
  • Clanrats                                                                                             40, 40, 240
  • Clanrats                                                                                             30, 30, 180
  • Stormfiends                                                                                     3, 18, 300
  • Stormvermin                                                                                   20, 20, 280
  • Warp Lightning Cannon                                                                                        6    180 
  • Verminus Clawpack                                                                                                       80

Wounds: 152, Points : 1960/2000

Sorry everyone, I made a mistake

I forgot to include the weapon teams for the Verminus List. I'm sick right now, so let me blame it on that. :) 

Revised List 2: Verminus Clawpack / Warbringer List

Leaders: 3/6
Battelines: 3
Behemoths: 1/4
Artillery: 1/4
                                                                                    Models, Wounds, Points
  • Skaven Warlord                                                                              1, 13, 500
  • Verminlord Warbringer                                                               1, 12, 320
  • Arch Warlock                                                                                1,  6, 140                                             
  • Clanrats                                                                                             40, 40, 240
  • Clanrats                                                                                             20, 20, 120
  • Clanrats                                                                                             10, 10, 60
  • Warpfire Thrower Weapon Team                                                        1,  3, 60
  • Warpfire Thrower Weapon Team                                                         1,  3, 60
  • Warpfire Thrower Weapon Team                                                         1, 3, 60
  • Stormfiends                                                                                     3, 18, 300
  • Stormvermin                                                                                   20, 20, 280
  • Warp Lightning Cannon                                                                                    1,   6    180 
  • Verminus Clawpack                                                                                                       80

Wounds: 146, Points : 1980/2000

I would honestly remove 10 Clanrats from the 20 man unit, 10 from the 40 man unit = 120 pts +20 pts left over = 140pts = another 10 Storm Vermin.

If you can afford it, 30 Stormvermin will do more damage than 40 clanrats, 30 clanrats will still provide a descent meatshield and the two other 10 man units can be shields for your weapon teams and/or capture objectives.

Thanks for the reply and input. To be honest, I considered that. Unfortunately, I don't own another 10 Stormvermin :(. I'll probably do that once I get my hands on another 10 SV models. 

What do you think about my question regarding the Verminlord? Have you ever played with the Deceiver and/or Warbringer in a list like this? I haven't, so I can only math hammer and hypothesize etc. 

Thanks again for the help!

Archived