Archaon old or new?

neiras3

Hello everyone,

I would really like to include Archaon in my army and I wonder which one suits better in general, and the pros and cons of both.

The difference between both models in points (and money) is huge, and (in my opinion) the big Dorghar, the 20 wounds and the 2 spells are not enough to pay 380 points of difference... (I could almost include Skarbrand for such points).

Has anyone played with both old and new models? Could you give me a piece of advise from your experience?

Thanks to all

Having used Little Archaon extensively - I suggest using the old one until such time as the old one is banned from events (which may or may not happen in General's Handbook version 2). At that point stop playing Chaos (except Skaven or Khorne Bloodbound or Legion of Azgorth if you want to go pew pew) until they get new stuff. 

Here's how I used Little Archaon at The Warlords:

If you can find a 2,500 point or 3,000 point event, then build Big Archaon and you should be good to go against almost anything other than a Nagash list.... Nagash scales up even better than Archaon does.

My experience of Gordrakk's big base being a major impediment at Blood & Glory makes me think even more strongly that Big Archaon is not competitive at 2,000 points. That was even though I didn't play against Sylvaneth (sadly - this would have been a good match up).

I have to agree Nico.  It really feels that Chaos has very few options unless you play Khorne Bloodbound or Skaven.  I am hoping that there are some significant point decreases for many of the Chaos units.  The key is that will only work as long as they keep the other grand alliance points the same.  Some portions of Chaos alliance is worse than others and hopefully Nurgle units all are reduced by about 20-points to make them somewhat viable.  

Archived