Returning player 1500 point Seraphon list

Itzaril I'ichi

Hi guys

An old player here returning to the game. I have been a lizard player for a long time, and i have an almost entirely metal 5th edition army. Im coming into AoS having played a few games, and i quite enjoy it. I have a tendency to play with the models i like, and since i both like dinosaurs and dislike the mostly derpy saurus models, i am planning on going with a skink heavy army. I've come up with the list below, I know it may not be the most competitive but i would like it to be a reasonably strong army. My regular (probably only) opponent plays wood elves, and is tactically pretty good (no sylvaneth except for a treeman and dryads). I typically play pretty aggressively, and so i think a generally alpha strike style suits me.

Heroes
Skink Starpriest
Skink Priest (trappings)
Saurus Astrolith Bearer

The theory is that the starpriest and priest will help to buff the cavalry/rippers/troglodon in the alpha strike attack, with the astrolith to provide additional support. I was contemplating whether 2 starpriests is better than a startpriest and a priest.

Battleline
2 x 5 saurus cavalry (spears)
10 saurus (maybe 10 skinks instead or 5 saurus guard)

I really like the old skink horned one riders, and so the plan is to convert skinks to be riding the dark elf cold ones because the lizardmen ones are terrible. the cavalry will head towards a medium toughness target, to take advantage of the spear charge and the priest buffs to stick around a bit. the idea behind the saurus is to provide a defensive bodyguard around the hero cohort, which is why i am considering whether 5 guard might be a better option.

Monster
Troglodon
Bastiladion with crystal

I already have a bastiladon painted and i think its a pretty sweet model. It also provides me one of the few ways i have to crack tough models. and with its defense i plan to shoot down tough enemies while holding a flank. The troglodon is also an awesome model (not painted so changing to a carnosaur is possible) and since it is actually viable in AoS id love to play it. Ive seen people say that it cannot compete with the carnosaur but is it really that bad? I plan to throw it at the blendiest targets, wherever they may be.

Other
2 Salamanders
3 skink handlers
3 ripperdactyls

The Salamander models were my favourite from 5th edition, and while i dont like the current ones as much they still hold special memories. It should be obvious that they will be going after the toughest enemies, as they always have, with a few handlers to help. The rippers will be going after those hard to reach squishy targets at the back, or opportune targets in the frontline if they present.

Unfortunately i havent found a place for two of my favourite units (kroxigors or stegadons), but as i dont have the models but already have pretty much all of the above i can add them later. That is unless i find a way to squeeze something else out to add them in. the rippers could be replaceable, but the finecast kroxigors worry me.

As i mentioned earlier, i will be playing pretty casual and wont be going to any tournaments, but id like the army to function pretty well and be reasonably competitive. Any suggestions will be welcome. Cheers.

If you're going skinks - go with a Shadowstrike Starhost, and lose the Knights. Skinks come in blocks of 10, and 40 is a good number to have. 1 or 2 of them might actually get a wound off! Go for chameleon skinks, ripperdactyls, star priest and skink priest (Tehenhauin is a good value). You may have to choose between Troglodon and Bastilidon.

The carnosaur is rather 'meh'. I think they're a tad overcosted - especially the Oldblood version. Troglodons seem to be a better value.

Archived