750pt Tournament List

CoffeeGrunt

Hey everyone,

The local is running a 750pt tournament with a few restrictions to try and make it interesting, aiming for shorter, snappier games where every point counts. The restrictions are as-below:
1 Leader 
1+ Battleline
0-1 Behemoth or Artillery

Now obviously this means running Hero light, but at such a small points level I can't really use my regulars. I'm thinking of perhaps using a Zombie-oriented list as that gives me versatility to blob up or run MSU depending on opponent. A Necromancer with the right traits could summon in stuff to assist where needed:

Necromancer 120
Ruler of the Night/Sword of Unholy Power

10 Zombies (x6) 360 (480)

Mortis Engine 180 (660)

90pts Summoning

This list gives me a fairly-reliable Wizard who can hide in the Zombie mob, a source of Mortal Wounds that's fairly tanky, plus 90pts spare to call in reinforcements via the sword. I'd go with Ruler of the Night for the trait as well, most likely. I can see this list being a bit slow though, but it should be fairly durable due to Ruler of the Night plus my opponents likely not having much to attack with. What few heavy hitters I come across will probably be unsupported, so I can try tying them down with the Zombies.

Alternatively, I could go with ol' faithful, the Deathrattle Legion of Death:

Legion of Death 60

Mounted Wight King 120 (180)
Ruler of the Night/Ring of Immortality/Infernal Standard

10 Skeletons, Swords 80 (260)

10 Skeletons, Swords 80 (340)

10 Skeletons, Swords 80 (420)

10 Grave Guard, GWBs 160 (580)

5 Black Knights 120 (700)

This list has the problem of having a spare 50pts with little to use it on. I could scrap the Black Knights and Formation to get enough another 180pts, leaving me with a pool of 230pts I could use on something. However the force would then be much less mobile and a little less survivable overall.

Thoughts?

Wight King 120 (infernal banner, ruler of the night)

blackknight 120 (obj taker)

graveguard 480 (main block)

if you focus on GG.

for fast mobility 

wight King on mount (ruler of the night, curse book)

all black knight. 10/10/5 

VL on abyssal terror 220 (red fury, chai blade)

10 bloodknight 520

740, very offensive, 1 chance army. 20" move, potentially 1st turn charge.

Huh, I forgot that Deathrattle allegiance makes Black Knights Battleline. I only have 10 of them though. I have no Vampire units at all, either.

Hmmm, how about:

Mounted Wight King 120
Ruler of the Night/Ring of Immortality/Infernal Standard

5 Black Knights 120 (240)

5 Black Knights 120 (360)

10 Grave Guard 160 (520)

10 Grave Guard 160 (680)

Leaves me 70pts free. Could give the Wight King the Sword of Unholy Power to pull in a Zombie unit or Cairn Wraith to sit on objectives?

So I've played a few games with the below list, and won comfortably on objectives on all but one of them. (It was Take and Hold against a Dwarf Gunline, so it was basically me surging forward trying to break his forces while he pounded my units into bonemeal.

Mounted Wight King 120
Ruler of the Night/Sword of Unholy Power/Infernal Standard

10 Black Knights 120 (360)

10 Skeletons 80 (440)

5 Dire Wolves 60 (500)

5 Dire Wolves 60 (560)

3 Spirit Hosts 120 (680)

Summoning Pool 60 (740)

The Summoning Pool is open to 5 Dire Wolves, a Cairn Wraith or 10 Zombies depending on need. It's come in really handy when I've used it, and the SoUP making it a guaranteed summon is especially-useful. 

The list operates on harassment and hit-and-run tactics rather than actually aiming to kill anything. The main objective is to tie my opponent's forces down while I nab objectives. One strategy I used in a recent game was withering my opponent down to one, fairly large Juggernaut squad, then having the Black Knights and Dire Wolves tag-team between said squad and my opponent's objective in Gifts From Heaven. One would retreat to the objective while the other charged, giving me two turns to regen the squad, which meant they stayed in the fight the entire game, though they didn't do significant damage.

I tend to buff the Black Knights up with the Wight King and send them in to hit a core unit as hard as possible on the charge before they retreat and rally for a flanking maneuver, threatening to get behind my opponent or hit them in a hard place. The Skeletons either camp a home objective or hit the unit the Black Knights retreat from, the Dire Wolves fan out on the flanks to harass weak units and pin down my opponent's flankers,  and the Spirit Hosts get sent in to deal with targets that have decent armour and nasty Rend.

Archived