Dark Aelf (Corsairs)

AAL

Hi All 

I'm new to the forum and AoS. Im just converting a tiny Darlk Aelf fantasy army I half started years ago and had a question about the corsairs. Are people finding the cutlass or the hand crossbows more effective? I like my models to match what I bring so I did't want to continue assembly until I decided which was best.

I prefers the Cutlass/Blade option due to the short range of the Repeater Crossbow.  Are you sticking to Dark Aelf only when building this army or are you planning to add in other Order Warscrolls to cover any weaknesses?  If your sticking to the Dark Aelf or Scourge Privateers then perhaps the crossbow is the way to go to make sure you get some shooting in the army.

Also you could pick what you think looks the coolest!

6 hours ago, Odiamh said:

I prefers the Cutlass/Blade option due to the short range of the Repeater Crossbow.  Are you sticking to Dark Aelf only when building this army or are you planning to add in other Order Warscrolls to cover any weaknesses?  If your sticking to the Dark Aelf or Scourge Privateers then perhaps the crossbow is the way to go to make sure you get some shooting in the army.

Also you could pick what you think looks the coolest!

They both look  great but I am planning on sticking to dark elf only for now unless something gets changed up. I have darkshards for shooting but i'm not sure if thats enough. So many decisions with the flexible models

I run a large block of 40 corsairs with cutlass and then have a much smaller group (10) with crossbows that I just use to hold objectives on my side of the board. If you are just going to make a single unit I would go with the cutlass as the range on the crossbows don't make for a effective range unit. I use the crossbows just an extra shooting attack before they charge into combat.

11 hours ago, bennnnnnn6 said:

I run a large block of 40 corsairs with cutlass and then have a much smaller group (10) with crossbows that I just use to hold objectives on my side of the board. If you are just going to make a single unit I would go with the cutlass as the range on the crossbows don't make for a effective range unit. I use the crossbows just an extra shooting attack before they charge into combat.

This is really helpful thank you. Do you mind sharing your normal list you run these in? I'm trying to get some ideas for expanding my army.

I basically just use the Realm Reavers Battalion with an extra Fleetmaster who comes in handy for those scenarios that need a hero to capture objectives (there is even room to add a third ). This is what I use at 1000pts, at more than 1000pts I start adding other factions, currently using this force with the battalion from the darkling covern.

Leaders
Black Ark Fleetmaster (40)
- General
Black Ark Fleetmaster (40)

Units
Black Ark Corsairs x 40 (400)
- Vicious Blade & Wicked Cutlass
Black Ark Corsairs x 10 (100)
- Repeater Handbow & Vicious Blade
Scourgerunner Chariots x 1 (100)

Behemoths
Kharibdyss (200)

Battalions
Realm Reavers (80)

Total: 960/1000

I keep the handbows back to hold objectives and push the huge block of Corsairs forward, with the fleetmasters behind them. I try to deploy the Kharibdyss facing off against a large unit of weak infantry (usually a battleline unit), I do this so I can make the most of the regeneration ability that he gets every time he kills a model. I try to deploy the chariot near an enemy monster and kite it round the board shooting the harpoon into it (if you only take 1 chariot you can still treat it as the High Beastmaster that gives you +1 to hit in the shooting phase). 

I use the battalion ability on 40 Corsairs in the first turn to give them a bonus move phase  to get them into combat quick. After the first turn I usually use the fleetmaster's command ability (reroll hits) and the battalion ability (extra phase) on the same unit making sure to use the command ability first so you get the rerolls in the extra phase, this is particularity nasty on the Kharibdyss.

Another thing to keep in made with this army is the battle-shock synergy between the Kharibdyss and the Corsairs, in the hero phase the Kharibdyss can howl and reduce a units bravery and if models flee from a unit near any unit of Corsairs they have a chance to lose more on the roll of a 6.

Hope that gives you some ideas.

Archived