Stoneskulls Ironjaws - WIP, C&C welcome

Gorsk

Time to roll back the curtain on my first serious attempt at painting minis to any decent standard.

Army Theme:

I wanted non-yellow and non-red/green orcs.  Also, I didn't think I could pull off the metalic armor.  Stoneskulls caught my eye, though I wanted more of an off-white armor with deep red secondary color.  Dark goretusks and a red maw-krusha would help add color to the overall army.

Eventually, I will probably add moonclan grots reversing the color scheme (dark red base with off-white highlights).

It has been difficult getting started - learning about color theory, paint thinning (using liquitex mediums), wet pallet and airbrushing all at once.  Honestly, I tried to tackle too much at once.  My progress is pretty slow.  But it's not a bad start.

Work to date - Generally, I airbrushed the primer using vallejo surface primer thinned with water.  I have then applied the base color over the shading, using brush, wet pallet, liquitex matte medium and liquitex airbrush thinner.  For the pig fur, I used a glaze medium.

Color schemes:

light armor: 

• dark layer: vallejo model color German camo beige
  • intermediate layer: VGA sand
  • wash: citadel  agrax earthshade
  • highlight: VGA dead white

dark armor

• dark layer: VGC scarlet red
  • intermediate layer: VGA gory red
  • wash: citadel reikland fleshshade
  • highlight: VGC bloody

skin

• dark layer: VMC US field drab
  • intermediate layer: Citadel stracken green
  • wash: citadel athonian camo shade
  • highlight: citadel dead flesh

Next Steps:

I'm not happy with the weak shading both on the armor and the skin.  I believe the issue is that I applied the base color over too much of the area that should stay shaded.  Maybe I didn't thin my glaze enough (basically using 1:1 or 1:2 paint to matte medium ratios on top of the wet pallet).  So I am trying to add back shading.

Also, I like the jagged streaks shown in the Citadel books rather than my highlighted triangles.  They also need to be longer highlights on the bigger armor plates (i.e. pig shoulder plates) to get more color over the off-white plate.

Then it is on to wash and highlighting.

Pictures:

Finally, my pictures taken early this morning with poor lighting and an iPhone.  Hopefully the pictures show up.

IMG_0569.JPG

IMG_0570.JPG

IMG_0571.JPG

Looks like a great start, love the pink-khaki look :).

I'm also quite new to painting, so maybe a stupid question:

Why are you applying a shade before the base color? I'd think you won't see much of the shade layer if you still have to base it.

I'm just sticking to the order undercoat-base-shade-layer/drybrush.

I am probably not naming things correctly.  What I called "shade" is really the darkest layer, the "base" is the intermediate layer, followed by a "wash" using Citadel shade paints and then highlighting with the brightest layer colors.

That is the plan anyway, though I am repeating the darkest and intermediate layers because my dark regions do not have enough contrast right now.

• 4 weeks later...

I finally caved and put my work-in-progress minis onto bases so I could finally play a game of AoS!  It was my first match with about 1000 points, thanks to MC1Gamer (an AoS youtuber who is in my area, not sure he is on the forums here though).

I primed, under shaded and base painted armor, flesh and weapons on a mega boss, a wierdnob, the megaboss who will eventually ride the maw krusha and 20 brutes.   I have to change the paint lists in my first post.  I decided to change the undershading colors to achieve more contrast in the shaded areas.

Next up color washes and then highlighting!

Additionally, I purchased 3 really useful boxes from the office supply store, flexible magnetized sheets and steel washers for use as my army transport/storage system.  I used super glue gel to adhere the washers to the bases.  The approach works really well for keeping the minis safe in the trunk of my car.  I wouldn't want to use it for trains or airplanes though.

Archived