Ideas for conversions, fillers, counts as

Burn

Hi there!

I have started a rather huge chaos army last month - 2 deathtides + some small stuff. So there´s still a lot of work to do.  I have lots of ideas swirling rhrough my head and would like to hear/read some comment on their feasability, whether you like them, or maybe even some advice.

Maybe I should lay out my plans first. I´m going to build three Chaos warbands of different style. Plus a Marauder Raid.  For this thread let´s stay with one warband.

The first one is lead by a Sorcerer Lord an Manticor. I would like to build it´s warriors out of marauders for diversity. I´ve already tested the style and I think the rune shields do look rather good an them. I reckon I´ll need to do same GS work on them, adding armor plates to the chest and same chainmail around the wastes as well as on those leather ribbons/rags "guarding" their groins. I´ll certainly also alter some of the weapon arms to better represent their new status as warriors. I have chariots from the deathtides whose Crew I will adjst and plan to use light Bestigor conversions as Chosen.

The problem with this warband is this: I´ll need tons of Marauders to make this AND the raid (like 100 or more). So I´m afraid of two things. Firstly, that I might get bored of building and painting so many marauders, and secondly, that they might look a little boring. I had an idea of using Ogers for fillers  as they match the marauders style pretty well, I think. I´ve also seen a nice pic of an Oger leashed by a Marauder, which looked very nice. Another idea was two warhounds leashed by a warrior/marauder, which would take the place of 6. My aim, however is not to fill my ranks with low cost, but to add some spice. Therefor I would also prefer not to use the same idea too often.

Well, now I´m excited to read your ideas and comments.

10 minutes ago, Tasman said:

Why not just use warriors? There's lots of simple swaps that can be made to change them up.

True so. That´s what I´m doing with the warband closest to being fully built. Change some horns, swap torsos etc. I´m even swapping torsos with knights accidentally resulting in a squad of chosen.^^

Thing is, I want different themes for those warbands. One is based around the heavy warrior type without marauders. One is meant to be "maraudery" making the converted warrior´s looks a little lighter than the original creating a step between the halfnude marauder and the fully ironclad chaos warriors to make the whole looks blend more.

And the third warband will be made of converted dwarfs (haven´t started that yet, though). :D

Thanks a lot! I honestly think this is going to keep me busy for al least a year. So far I only have pics of some chaos spawn "drafts" I attempted with genestealer bits and not so adequate modelling clay as I found out. Getting GS is a real problem in Germany, though. Can´t order from UK. Here you get it only from GW for 9€/7g. If all else fails, I´m going to import 400g for 75€(including 25 shipping) from the US next week and exchange some of it for bits or mustered out models. That might sound like much but it´s 375€ cheaper than buying from GW :D

Archived