Look out sir

Tizianolol

Question

Guys I dont understand how new look out sir rule work now. Basically i have -1to hit if I target an enemy unit in combat against 3 or more model. If the hero targeted  got less then 10 wounds i cant shoot him if he is more then 12". That hero must be in combat for the second part of the rule? Thx a lot:)

2 answers to this question

This is the rule as of September 2023, exact text copied from the pdf. I've broken it down into sections to explain them bit by bit:

You must subtract 1 from the hit roll (see 13.3) for an attack made with a missile weapon if the target is an enemy Hero within 3" of an enemy unit that has 3 or more models.

This part is the same as it always was, but be careful here with "enemy" and "friendly", the Hero doesn't have to be in combat at all. The sentence is written entirely from your perspective, so if the enemy Hero is within 3" of an enemy unit, that means those units are both your enemies (i.e. they're friendly to each other). The name of the rule helps here, as you can think of it as the unit warning the hero to watch out.

If that Hero does not have a mount (with the exception of companions), it also cannot be targeted by attacks made with missile weapons if the attacking model is more than 12" away from them.

This bit is new, and it is an addition to the previous section. If the previous bit would apply, and the enemy Hero is on foot, then you cannot target them at all (instead of the -1 to hit) unless you are within 12". So if your enemy has a foot hero, say a Necromancer, and that unit is within 3" of a unit of 10 Skeletons, then you can't shoot the Necromancer if you are more than 12" away. If instead that Necromancer was only within 3" of your units, then you can freely shoot it from anywhere on the board with no penalty.

The Look Out, Sir! rule does not apply if the enemy Hero has a Wounds characteristic of 10 or more.

This is again, the same as before, and it means that none of the above applies to any Hero with 10 or more wounds.

• Like 1