The Painting Contract - August 2023

Sparxius

15 hours ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

I used to really struggle painting yellow, now it's one of the easiest colours for me:

The only thing you need to do is pre-shade in browns and whites. Basically, just establish your shadows in brown, highlights in (off-)white. Such as with a brown wash over white. Then, just a thin coat of yellow paint should do it, and be appropriately shaded, too.

Trying to paint yellow over black is hard, because yellow is so transparent. Plus, black primer tends to not actually be black, but rather a very dark blue. This interacts with the transparent yellow and results in green-tinted shadows. That's the reasoning behind using dark brown as a shadow colour for yellow: It is a warm pigment that helps achieve a good effect when painted over in yellow and does not result in any weird colour changes.

Thanks! Need to try this next time. Yellow hasnt been much of an issue with smaller models but these have more flat surfaces and i really struggled.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

I used to really struggle painting yellow, now it's one of the easiest colours for me:

The only thing you need to do is pre-shade in browns and whites. Basically, just establish your shadows in brown, highlights in (off-)white. Such as with a brown wash over white. Then, just a thin coat of yellow paint should do it, and be appropriately shaded, too.

Trying to paint yellow over black is hard, because yellow is so transparent. Plus, black primer tends to not actually be black, but rather a very dark blue. This interacts with the transparent yellow and results in green-tinted shadows. That's the reasoning behind using dark brown as a shadow colour for yellow: It is a warm pigment that helps achieve a good effect when painted over in yellow and does not result in any weird colour changes.

Yeah, I've been painting yellow my whole warhammer carrier, XD

I tried so many different ways of painting yellow, even over black undercoat.

Tried the bone colour layer style then give it a yellow wash.

But with the new contrast paints this really helps out a lot, you just have to paint the part you want yellow in a light colour, i like wraithbone(citadel)

And then you don't need that many layers. :)

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

Guess I might chime in (on a very irregular bases)

Currently I am working on 20 Corsairs but finished Ivy Volga :)

She was great fun to paint and gave me the opportunity to test wet blending on the Skirt

CCFDD8BA-3FFE-4451-A4A2-37F4D6C73DD0.jpeg

7D4724AC-9CD7-4C57-AC8F-9ED6D05BF8EF.jpeg

7D59ED76-6DC1-43CB-87F1-9DEF0254C550.jpeg

Haha, i know the feeling, I haven't had much time to do stuff aswell, so i get what you mean with irregular posting.

But the main thing is that, these montly post are to keep you going and motivated, it doesn't matter if it's just a base or a whole army.

Painting, creating, or just building your hobby stuff is all progression against the Grey and Pile of Potential. :)

But this model looks amazing, i love the were-vampires, but not really the east europian influance.

So i have created a jungle theme vampire army, i bought panther models to replace the wolves, and looking into the different options for the knights.

So hopefully i can start posting those after i finished my bloodbowl team xD

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sparxius said:

Haha, i know the feeling, I haven't had much time to do stuff aswell, so i get what you mean with irregular posting.

But the main thing is that, these montly post are to keep you going and motivated, it doesn't matter if it's just a base or a whole army.

Painting, creating, or just building your hobby stuff is all progression against the Grey and Pile of Potential. :)

But this model looks amazing, i love the were-vampires, but not really the east europian influance.

So i have created a jungle theme vampire army, i bought panther models to replace the wolves, and looking into the different options for the knights.

So hopefully i can start posting those after i finished my bloodbowl team xD

Great idea, would love to see those ^^.

• Like 1