Grimshallow Project Thread

Asbestress

Also known as "Asbestress' mediocre Cities army project thread made solely to motivate her to actually finish something"

LORE

Greywater Fastness. The industrial heart of Sigmar's Empire. A smoke-wreathed city stretching from horizon to horizon. Amidst the Era of the Beast, it's expansion continues apace, while the tenuous peace made with the sylvaneth of Dreadwood strains ever closer to it's breaking point.

On the One Road, a new Dawbringer Crusade sets out, eager to found a new canton which, eventually, will be subsumed by the city itself.

I have some more stuff in terms of lore, but that will have to come with time.

Parts of the army
Not content on settling for one army to collect, this army will be made up of three different "sub-forces"

32nd Greywater Expeditionary Force
Making up the bulk of the army (and the minis currently done), the Expeditionary Force consists of the Freeguild, Ironweld, Dispossessed and other forces of the Fastness. From Handgunners to Steam Tanks, almost all can be found here.
(Mainly Greywater coloured minis)

Canton Devoted
Coming from the canton of Grimmshallow, the Canton Devoted are the religious arm of the Crusade. Ranging from Sigmarite Warrior Priests and their Flagellant throngs to the ill-trusted priests of Alarielle, the priests of many gods of Order can be found amongst them.
(Darker purples and golds/Greywater colours)

Azyrite Inspectorate
Growing weary of the unstable situation in the Ghoul Mere, the 32nd Expeditionary Force is being accompanied by a cadre of Celestial Battlemages from Azyrheim, sent by the Lords of the Heavenfall themselves. Their duty is the ensure the peace is kept between the sylvaneth and the Crusade. Each Wing of the Expeditionary Force is accompanied by at least one Mage and their Celestial Hurricanum, who are themselves followed by contingents of Azyrheim Greatswords and, where deemed worthy, even Stormcast Eternals.
Fearing the Great Plan has become imperiled by the same dire situation in the area, the Inspectorate has been joined by several skinks of an unknown Starhost. Their current leader, a Skink Priest known only by the title of "Restorer of Harmony", has been rumoured to have been behind the death of several industrial magnates and even members of the Council of the Forge.
(Mainly "Azyrite colours", rich cyans and purples, with golden accents for Cities units, and "galaxy" style patterns on purple with cyan accents for Seraphon)

STATE OF THE ARMY
Right now I only have a few units and characters painted (see below), but I'm hoping to finish off my backlog (another Steam Tank, a Runelord, a Helstorm/Helblaster and a Xintil War-magi box), and complete my dream of a 3 Steam Tank squadron, and probably add some new Seraphon and a SC Greywater Fastness before the range refresh arrives (probably around mid-late Fall), so that I can actually begin getting some infantry and start building an actually sensible list.

As always, C&C is appreciated!

P.S.: Apologies for the bad photography, I aim to improve as this thread continues 😛

Currently complete minis

Spoiler

Kép

"Wrath of Steel and Smoke" Steam Tank

Spoiler

Kép

The ven Densts

Spoiler

Kép

Canton-Master Josukai ven Besh (Freeguild General)

Spoiler

Kép

Hexbane's Hunters

Spoiler

20230205_151037.jpg

Kép

"Sentinels of Grugni" Irondrakes

Spoiler

Kép

"Mere Shooters" Handgunners (just some test minis to see how my scheme looks on infantry. Will be replaced with new minis when they arrive)

Edited by Asbestress
Grammar and looks
  • Like 8

Not much in terms of an update, but I wanted to get some lore flowing.

LORE

The forming of the 32nd Greywater Expeditionary Force was, at least officially, an unremarkable event; another Dawnbringer Crusade sent forth to expand the city's outermost defensive perimeter further into the Ghoul Mere in hopes of the city limits eventually growing to meet the Festermere Realmgate. Digging into the Order of Azyr's records, however, shines a different, and altogether more concerning light on it's founding.

Shortly after Kragnos' awakening and rampage at Excelsis, a series of disappearances rocked the upper echelons of the city. From agrichamber managers and local civic leaders to eventually even a member of the Grand Conclave. At the height of the crisis, a member of Gorring Ivarsson's advisory, the High Arbiter Ivon Honburg, herself a controversial reformer, petitioned Azyrheim for aid.

Receiving word of the unfolding events, Andrass von Grenspire, a Provost-General of the Order in Azyrheim and famed Witch Hunter, together with his entourage, arrived to investigate.
He was joined by Josukai ven Besh, a celebrated warrior and Captain of a company of Greywater Sappers, and several local agents. Ven Besh told the Provost-General of the rumours circulating around the Freeguilds less loyal to the Council of the Forge, which claimed that the Ironweld masters of the city themselves were behind these disappearances, and that some sinister force related to these events could be lurking in the vast sewer and canal network of the city.

Taking his agents and a select group of the most experienced of the Sappers, Grenspire, together with Josukai, ventured into the Southern Merecanal, an infamously derelict and abandoned branch of the city's sewers. Shortly after their investigation began, they knew something was wrong. The air smelled of wet fur and psychedelics. What they found farther in the tunnels, none would say. The only account given of the events was made by Grenspire himself, describing a vicious underground battlefield of grots and ratmen, along with the remains of Isabel Hernshire and her bodyguards, seemingly solving the mystery of the missing Councilor. How she ended up there, or what events led to it, none could say.

The formation of the 32nd Greywater Expeditionary Force was thus decreed by the Lord Audacious (of course, with some "persuasion" from the Provost-General), with their first stop being the canton of Grimshallow...

STATE OF THE ARMY

Not much has changed since the last update, except for the assembly of some of the backlog. I'm aiming to get these painted up by the end of March at the latest.

Spoiler

Kép

Second Steam Tank fresh off the factory line. I'm thinking about more ways to show that on the mini (weld lines?). Also, I tried putting on the top panel reversed as it has a more industrial look, but haven't glued it since I'm still not sure if I like the look. Any ideas?

Spoiler

Kép

First of a trio of Helblasters/Helvolleys (hope to get the rest before the range refresh probably wipes them from the army). Left the cannon/rockets themselves unglued so I will be able to swap them. Crew will most likely be replaced with new ones once we get some new minis, and are thus relegated to practice mini status 😛

Spoiler

Kép

Last, but certainly not least, the Runelord for the War Machines! I've still yet to come up with a name for him.

Edited by Asbestress
  • Like 5

• 2 months later...

After an absence of nearly 3 months, I return with an update (sorry if the banner (graciously stolen from March's WHC article) looks quite bad in dark mode 😛)

image.png.c1b97a9ac2b169be38e70a205be21129.png

STATE OF THE ARMY

Although progress has halted (for now) on the Steam Tank, there has been some painting done, and I've finished a Helblaster Gun and Runelord. Next up, the Greywater Start Collecting.

The Helblaster

Spoiler

20230502_154702.jpg.de4193e428c92a90a69b998369d9700a.jpg

Spoiler

20230502_154711.jpg.ad2bcf7f5483ec011d55247a397ae525.jpg

Spoiler

20230502_154651.jpg.65b6245ffd43c61fe1eea8763d79fddd.jpg

The Crew

Spoiler

image.jpeg.90eff893c736f81b34d45f8ef10ab57a.jpeg

The Runelord

Spoiler

image.jpeg.17649a93afaf05a6a66c533a349ab57c.jpeg

Spoiler

image.jpeg.28dfe58ba32fc2808593a984a375ce60.jpeg

FATE OF THE ARMY

"Ending? Not the best way to describe it. An ending usually means, well, that something has ended. That it is no more. Think of this more like, a new beginning."

First of all, I'll explain the hiatus.
With the sudden reveal of the new Freeguild Guard (and now the Cavaliers), my plans for this Greywater project kinda became upended. I saw that the army's aesthetics were moving away from the early-modern look of the old Empire models, and decided that these did not fit my vision for the project. But that is not to say I didn't immediately fall in love with them.

And thus, I decided to start anew. The minis I've painted already will still find a use in the army (after all, who doesn't need a delegation from the Fastness to oversee their artillery? Not to mention their experience with foetid swamps), but I will try to find a new scheme that works for me (i.e.: more vibrant, yet still a bit grimy/down-to-earth), and the Crusade's location will move away from the Fastness, into swamps of a more Chaos corrupted variety (i.e.: basing will be a mix of the current swampy style and more verdant/healthy looking grass (due to the land being slowly cleansed by Aqualiths), mainly inspired by that one picture of a newly founded city we got from Warhammer Fest).

Spoiler

image.png.06c11ac1622af68fe962b83d42debbc1.png

Here's an Ironbreaker I've painted up to test out some colours (going to try a different one on each of my 9 unpainted ones probably). The red bit is supposed to be similar to the cloth on the new Freeguild Guard. Also tried to avoid fully doing all the edges in gold to help them fit in with that same kit's more basic gear. Basing will wait until I get some more non-swampy materials.

Next update will probably be more test minis (hopefully with complete bases), and some lore/general foundation for the city.

Spoiler

image.jpeg.ce642f78e7c9b4bd28a0dc6bb6544546.jpeg

Spoiler

image.jpeg.ab2b6217b8d547f3e8cb43ca7ab43349.jpeg

And to finish off,
let's just say these newly christened Grimshallow frontier troops are really gonna need those Aqualiths...

Spoiler

20230502_154115.jpg.3b43aa6afb36c84f4376777a357323eb.jpg

Spoiler

20230502_154051.jpg.2321c934ae5a867d9c7e5e8b2637af01.jpg

Nurgle cometh...

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

• Asbestress changed the title to Grimshallow Project Thread