Hand of Glory

Matjb2512

Hi all,

So about 5 minutes after ordering a Loremaster I realised my understanding of this spell was wrong; I had thought it affected a unit whereas in actual fact it's just a model.

As such I'm not sure how much use the spell is to me now.

Is it possible to use this spell on one model in a unit? I.e the unit's champion. The wound and hit rerolls are straightforward, but what about the save?

My wife uses the Loremaster to put one of her two big nasties into overdrive. This is her bizarre list:

Leaders
Loremaster (100)
Battlemage (100)
Spirit of Durthu (400)
- General
- Trait: Legendary Fighter
- Artefact: Relic Blade

Units
Dryads x 20 (240)
Glade Guard x 20 (240)
Knights Of The Realm x 16 (440)

Behemoths
Carmine Dragon (480)

Total: 2000/2000

Good to hear some feedback!

Just checked out the Carmine Dragon warscroll, looks like nasty stuff. I've never really considered getting any FW stuff since a lot of tournaments require GW only models if I'm correct?

Any clarification on my original question - using hand of glory in a single model in a unit?

Just checked out the Carmine Dragon warscroll, looks like nasty stuff. I've never really considered getting any FW stuff since a lot of tournaments require GW only models if I'm correct?

Official ones definitely allow FW models e.g. The Warlords - not least as the FW store is 10 feet from the gaming tables.

I cannot see any reason to exclude the Forgeworld stuff at all at independent events. Would you deny a chance to play the Legion? Monsters are 10% overcosted as a rule of thumb. A few events are not allowing Compendium Scrolls, which I strongly disagree with - hurts Death and Chaos a lot and also clobbers Moonclan, who are increasingly popular, as well as regular Orruks!

I took a load of Forgeworld Monsters to Rain of Stars and had a ball. They weren't hugely competitive, but everyone enjoyed playing against them.

Finally got to play with my new collection last night;

Treelord Ancient

Loremaster

Branchwych 

5 Wild Riders

20 Dryads

10 Dryads

For 1000 points on the nose.

The Ancient absolutely shone with a combination of his command ability, mystic shield and hand of glory allowing him to tarpit the combined assault of a Thundertusk and Butcher for 3 rounds of combat, killing both (thanks to the 1+ save for being in cover as well, obviously the 1s were autofails but it softened the effects of rend and he was rerolling 1s due to the command ability). Still lost the game but went from a major to minor victory for my opponent, success! 

The wild riders were a pretty big dissapointment, being shot off the board in both games before really accomplishing anything. The branchwych even more so as across two games the only action she managed was a mystic shield, given that I'm not a fan of the model anyway I'm glad she's not in my final list. 

All in all very happy with the synergies so far, the Loremaster is highly underwhelming in CC but the spell itself is just so worthwhile, especially in combination with the Legendary Fighter trait.

So for your original question: 

You should be able to cast hand of glory on a single model in a unit (if he doesn't have ANYTHING better to do). To handle the save remember you choose where wounds are allocated so you could allocate wounds to the model you cast hand of glory on thus allowing you to re-roll failed saves. But remember once you choose a model to allocate wounds too for the phase you must continue to allocate all wounds that phase to that model! That could be troublesome for the poor champ. :)

Archived