Two-Part Epoxy Resin (water effects, etc.)

Kyriakin

After my negative first experience a few years ago - where the hardener had turned orange (not a good thing for making ice-water bases) - I finally have got back into epoxy resin.

It really can be a ballache, but that waxy finish of Vallejo Stillwater (I've never tried the Woodland's Scenics product) just doesn't do it for me.

So, far I have learned the following...:

- Buy MDF bases with vertical edges, and attach the neodymium magnets on the top side of the base (i.e. embedded within the basing material and/or resin). These magnets should be strong enough to still work through the base itself for transporting purposes.

- Don't use GW Pyroclast Orange to colour the resin for a magma effect, as it will turn it into a milky peach colour (in fact, many GW products do not seem to fare well).

- However, the Secret Weapon washes that I have tried so far seem to work very well for this purpose.

- Never use masking tape for the temporary "wall" to contain the resin. It will become a gooey mess. Instead, create rings from plastic sheets using the 2πr rule (i.e. 78 or 78.5 milimeters for 25mm MDF bases), and wedge the bases in tightly.

Who else is using resin for basing, etc.? Any advice?