High Elf list building

Jazzhands

Hey tga. I'm a former fantasy player getting back into warhammer with aos. I got the General's Handbook and read up on how the game works now, but I'm having a little trouble figuring out how to put a list together that can stack up to the newer armies. Is it still possible to run a purely high elf army that will give me a shot against all comers? I've found so far that phoenix guard work well, but I haven't had the opportunity to test much else. Any advice you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated. 

• 2 weeks later...

Teclis and Tyrion are still awesome. My friends asked me to stop playing with them because they never stand a chance. :) Teclis in a large army with other wizards is just amazing. 

Ellyrian Reavers are a lot of fun and surprisingly deadly, are battleline if playing matched play and are handy for battleplans that require high mobility to secure objectives or harassing units guarding an objective. They can move, shoot a massive volley of arrows and then move away again, keeping out of harm's reach.

Shadow Warriors are also a fun unit but I find them a bit expensive if you are playing matched play.

I tried fielding Swordmasters for the first time last night, and they performed brilliantly too. Their armor and defensive ability kept them safe, and they destroyed in close combat.

And 36" range on the bolt thrower makes it great for dominating the board.

Dragon Blades are a regular staple of my armies too. They can hold their own against similar point value units.

I don't play competitively, but I have found that High Elves can keep up.

I have only really struggled in 3+ player battleplans with "massed combat". In that case, I struggled against the numbers of skaven and toughness of death.

Yeah. I've played a few games now and have found it impossible to cause enough wounds to win against death. In turn, my units seem to fold over and die to little resistance. Thank you for the feedback though. I'll try other things to get them to work. 

Archived