Evocators and removing models before Celestial Lightning attacks.

Mark Williams

Question

I had a couple interesting rules questions come up this weekend in a game with Evocators and wanted to get you guys opinions.

1) We've talked about this before, but the Celestial Lightning  happens after you have resolved a units attacks, which is "simultaneous" to the time where wounds are allocated. We went back and forth about this and semi decided on a house rule that whoever's turn it is gets to do this first. So if it's my turn, I get to do a celestial lightning attack before casualties are removed, but if it's my opponent's turn, they get to remove casualties first. This didn't seem like a big difference to me, but it seems like a really "grey" area.

2) In the same assault, my opponent had some shields that caused mortal wounds on 6s. 

example: Spiteshield: The shields carried by those in the Legion of Azgorh are laced with malefic curses, and upon being struck erupt with tendrils of flame. If the unmodified save roll for an attack with a melee weapon that targets a unit that includes any models carrying a Spiteshield is 6, the attacking unit suffers 1 mortal wound.

There are a few similar abilities like this.

example: Gorefists: A counter-punch from a brutally spiked gorefist has spelled doom for countless overconfident foes. If an unmodified save roll for an attack made with a melee weapon that targets a unit that includes any models armed with a Goreaxe and Gorefist is 6, the attacking unit suffers 1 mortal wound after all of its attacks have been resolved.

My opponent argued that because the warscroll did not say "after all of its attacks have been resolved", the wounds from the Spiteshields happened immediately. This was then backed up by the quote in the core rules under Mortal Wounds:

"Mortal wounds caused at other times are allocated to models in the target unit as soon as they occur, in the same manner as wounds caused by damage from an attack."

Thus, reflective damage would kill Evocators before they get to use their Celestial Lightning arc. Ultimately this isn't a big deal, but it was the first time I've seen something like this, and I wanted to know if anyone has encountered this before, and how would you handle it?

The only thing I can think to sort of defend a pro-Evocator argument is that  the quote in the mortal would section of the core rulebook was intended to account for mortal wounds that happen outside of the attack sequence completely, such as a unit of cavalry charging in and doing mortal wounds at the end of the charge phase, or in the hero or movement phases or something like that.

Edited by Mark Williams

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet