Fan Rules: Making Gargants cooler

kenshin620

Hello, I just wanted to share my ideas on making the gargant (of both varieties) a bit more attractive model to use. What do you think.

All Gargants

Change Drunken Stagger to “If a charge roll for this model is a double, this model’s charge move is half of that result.”

(I didn't want to completely remove the "weakness" of the gargant, I figured having it having a shorter charge move is better than none. Of course I suppose in a perfect world gargants shouldn't have this rule.)

Change Timber! to “If this model is slain, before removing the model from the battlefield pick a point on the battlefield 2" from this model. Each unit within 2" of that point suffers D3 mortal wounds. This model is then removed from the battlefield.

(Now you can tactically make this guy fall over without making it a cruise missile for your opponent. Should there be a "dodge" roll though for balance? Like units roll on a 4+ to get hit?)

Change Stuff ‘Em in me Bag to “Each time this model attacks, you can pick an enemy model within 2" of this model after all of this model’s attacks have been resolved and roll a dice. If the roll is equal to or greater than that enemy model’s Wounds characteristic + 1, it is slain.”

(The current rule is very unreliable, with 2 wound models ignoring it 1/2 the time. Meanwhile the Ghorgon has a very similar rule but with no added benefit to wound characteristics, but only with 1" range. I went with the middle route, so 1 wound models still have a chance to get out, but you can potentially snipe 5 wound heroes).

Gain Yell and Bawl ability

After this model attacks an enemy unit, that enemy unit suffers -1 to their Bravery characteristic in the next Battleshock phase.

(Added in an old favorite of old giants. I'm surprised at the lack of fear/terror from monsters)

Gain Object Throw attack

Range 24” Attacks 1 To Hit 5+ To Wound 3+ Rend -1 Damage D3.

(I figured gargants throw things like troggoths or cygors. This gives them a slight ranged threat, albeit unreliable.)

Aleguzzler Gargant gains Too Drunk to Care

At the start of your Hero Phase, roll a dice for each of your units with this rule. On a 4+, the gargant temporarily forgets all the battle wounds that have been inflicted on it. Use the top row on that unit’s damage table until the start of your next Hero phase.

(I wanted to give the aleguzzler more character, and this way you can potentially have a fully effective gargant in combat).

Chaos Gargant

Change Whipped into a Frenzy to include Mortal Heroes.

Gains Godmarked

When adding this unit to your army, you may choose to give it one of the following Keywords: Khorne, Slaanesh, Nurgle, or Tzeentch.

(These two rules allow the chaos gargant to be much more buffable in non BoC armies. And chaos loves their buffs.)

And that would be all for the core gargant profiles, however I also made some (probably not balanced) Realm rules for Gargants, like Order Battle Wizards you choose where your gargant came from and they get a new corresponding ability.

I figure with all of these changes, maybe Aleguzzler would be 180-210 points and Chaos would be 190-220 points?

Gargant Realm Origin

You may pick a Gargant to be from a specific realm, gaining the corresponding ability.

Spoiler

Azyr: Stormtouched Gargant – Natural Lighting Rod

At the end of the combat phase, you can pick an enemy unit within 3” of this model and roll a dice. On a 5+, that unit suffers D3 Mortal Wounds.

Chamon: Ironhide Gargant – Metallic Skin

Improve the Gargant’s armor save by +1 but reduce its Move Characteristic by -1”.

Aqshy: Flameborne Gargant – Titanic Flame Weapons

Improve the Rend characteristic of the Gargant’s Massive Club to -2.

Ghyran: Lifebloom Gargant – Regeneration

In your hero phase, you can heal 1 wound allocated to this model.

Ghur: Wyldform Gargant – Bestial Rush

You may reroll any dice when making a charge move with this model.

Hysh: Arcanewrought Gargant – Magical Resistance

Each time this model is affected by a spell or endless spell, you can roll a dice. If you do so, on a 4+, ignore the effects of that spell or endless spell on this model.

Ulgu: Mistwalker Gargant – Obscuring Cloud

Enemy shooting attacks against this model subtract -1 to hit rolls. In addition if the enemy unit that is shooting at this model is at least 12” away, this model counts as being in Cover.

Shyish: Dreadaura Gargant – Deathly Howl

When this model uses it’s Yell and Bawl ability, enemy units subtract -3 from their Bravery characteristic.

Edited by kenshin620
  • Like 1