Wanderers 2k - Waystone Pathfinder Bataillon

nightsrage

Hello! Long time fantasy player that is just getting into Age of Sigmar. Below is my experimental list that I intend to buy models for. But first, I would appreciate any feedback or mistakes that I have made. 

Waystone Pathfinders

Heroes – 480 

-       Nomad Prince – (Battalion)

o   Battle Trait – Master of Defense

o   Artifact - +1 damage to a melee weapon (name escapes me)

-       Spellweaver – (Battalion)

-       Waywatcher – (Battalion)

Battleline – 180 (3+ battle line)

-       Waywatchers x3  

-       Waywatchers x3  

-       Waywatchers x3   

Troops – 1160

-       Eternal Guard x20 – (Battalion) 

-       Eternal Guard x20 – (Battalion) 

-       Sisters of the Watch x10 – (Battalion)

-       Sisters of the Watch x10 – (Battalion)

-       Sisters of the Thorn x5 – (Battalion)

-       Wild Riders x5 – (Battalion)

Warscroll Battalion (Waystone Pathfinders)  

Total: 1960  

Thoughts: 

- I do feel slightly cheesy taking minimum x3 way watchers to fill my battle line. Thoughts? 

- The Waystone Pathfinder Battalion is amazing, but is it balanced or over the top? Or, is my line of questioning still too reminiscent of being a Fantasy Player? I mean, my way watcher heroes will have 36 shots a turn alone at an enemy within 12 inches of my Prince. Double shots for the Sisters of the watch as well, which seems super powerful (80 shots if they had not moved that turn...) 

- The entire army can deploy on the table edges aside from the way watchers, which seems super sweet to keep your opponent guessing as they deploy. 

Firstly, not all tournaments will accept units from the compendium.  Especially your decision of using waywatchers as core may cause some contention among other players.

Secondly, I believe this army will fall apart against a dedicated close combat army, especially if the latter is fast.  There are just insufficient bodies to tie up the enemy.  You are also very reliant on the Sisters of the watch for damage dealing, which will be a real problem if the enemy manage to alpha strike (like stormcast) and eliminate one of the sisters units in one turn, also sisters only shoot twice so you get only 40 shots per turn.  In addition AoS scenarios tend to involve lots of objective grabbing and thus lots of movement, I doubt your sister of the watch can stay stationary for long.  I rather replace one of the sisters of the watch unit with glade guard.

I also recommend some wildwood rangers for counterattacking.  From my experience playing with wanderers, you cannot go far with just shooting and no quality CC attacks.

14 minutes ago, darkspear said:

Firstly, not all tournaments will accept units from the compendium.  Especially your decision of using waywatchers as core may cause some contention among other players.

Secondly, I believe this army will fall apart against a dedicated close combat army, especially if the latter is fast.  There are just insufficient bodies to tie up the enemy.  You are also very reliant on the Sisters of the watch for damage dealing, which will be a real problem if the enemy manage to alpha strike (like stormcast) and eliminate one of the sisters units in one turn, also sisters only shoot twice so you get only 40 shots per turn.  In addition AoS scenarios tend to involve lots of objective grabbing and thus lots of movement, I doubt your sister of the watch can stay stationary for long.  I rather replace one of the sisters of the watch unit with glade guard.

I also recommend some wildwood rangers for counterattacking.  From my experience playing with wanderers, you cannot go far with just shooting and no quality CC attacks.

Thanks for the reply! I appreciate your emphasis on the melee dynamics of my enemies. This is true, it will be difficult to counter and I will likely try 3 units of 15 eternal guard. Question: If I were to create 3 groups of 15 eternal Guard, and their purpose is to absorb and hold units with their Fortress of the Borough ability, would 3x15 be enough? 

Regarding your comment on the # of shots, have you read what the battalion bonus is for the Wayfinder battalion? If an enemy unit is within 12 inches of my Prince, I can select that unit and fire with ALL of my Wayfinder battalion units that are in range "in the Hero Phase as if it were the shooting phase". Therefore, Lets say I focus fire some big bad hero or monster, I can launch two volleys arrows from the sisters in my one turn to = 40 in the "Hero Phase" and another 40 in the shooting phase. 

Furthermore regarding shooting in the Hero phase at a unit within 12 inches of my Prince, this extra phase of shooting counts for all of my ranged units with the Wayfinder Battalion tag which means: 

- 3 Waywatcher Heroes = 18 shots in the hero phase, and another 18 shots in the shooting phase, that can add more shots for every 6 rolled. (42 average) 

- 10x2 sisters that have not moved = 40 shots in the hero phase, and another 40 shots in the shooting phase. 

So, lets say I kept a tight battle line (mission dependent of course), and an enemy unit was within that deadly 12 inches of my Prince, in the Hero phase alone, I could nail that single target with 58 shots (assumes full model count). 

What do you think of the deployment rules for the way finder Battalion? Being able to not deploy, and on my first movement turn enter onto ANY table edge that is not within 9 inches of the enemy sounds super powerful. 

Lastly, yes, I will take your advice on the way watchers as battle line and try to squeeze in 10 glade guard. I hate that Glade riders minimum unit size is 8, which leaves them at 200 points per battle line requirement filled, or I would take them... 

Thank you for the feedback, I will make changes to the eternal Guard into 15x3 and try to drop the way watchers for glade guard, or something... 

45 minutes ago, darkspear said:

You are also very reliant on the Sisters of the watch for damage dealing, which will be a real problem if the enemy manage to alpha strike (like stormcast) and eliminate one of the sisters units in one turn,

This just occurred to me as well, the sisters have the old school stand and shoot (essentially), so if the unit air strikes in, yes I do not doubt that they will kill the sisters, but they will eat 20 shots hitting on 3's (re-rolling 1's) and wounding on 3's first, so that is something, right? (re-rolling 1's comes from the Prince command ability) 

Sorry for the late reply.   I would prefer bigger unit of eternal guards, between 20-30 as I notice it is hard to pull off the fortress of boughs ability.  Your opponents will just avoid you! So I notice I often have to charge and only get to use the ability 2 rounds later.

I noted your comment on the Sisters of the watch.  I think your idea is fine as i did the math and they are indeed deadly.  as usual my concern is that it is not that easy to stay rooted to a spot and fire twice throughout the game.  Thus i stick to my earlier advice, just take 1 unit.

i have no comments on the special formation deployment rules as i have not tried it yet.

On August 18, 2016 at 3:43 AM, darkspear said:

Sorry for the late reply.   I would prefer bigger unit of eternal guards, between 20-30 as I notice it is hard to pull off the fortress of boughs ability.  Your opponents will just avoid you! So I notice I often have to charge and only get to use the ability 2 rounds later.

I noted your comment on the Sisters of the watch.  I think your idea is fine as i did the math and they are indeed deadly.  as usual my concern is that it is not that easy to stay rooted to a spot and fire twice throughout the game.  Thus i stick to my earlier advice, just take 1 unit.

i have no comments on the special formation deployment rules as i have not tried it yet.

No worries and thank you for the input! 

Regarding Eternal Guard's Fortress of the Bough and the enemy being able to avoid it, I was thinking about using the eternal Guard's formation to be like NFL Defensive Linemen for my Prince and his archers. For that purpose, your advice on a larger unit of Eternal Guard makes sense and will allow for U-spahed formations to stop troops from penetrating my archers. My theory is to force the enemy into my enteral guard through the Prince's battalion ability of firing in both the hero phase and the shooting phase. However, its only a 12 inch target so who knows if it will work in actual play. 

I was considering making a way watcher my general so that I can use sisters of the watch to fill the battle line positions, but the re-roll 1's to hit from the prince seems too good to pass up with shooting twice on my turn. 

Good advice and I will put it to serious consideration! I just want to theorize as much as I can before I commit and drop the $$$ on the army. 

Peace! 

I do feel slightly cheesy taking minimum x3 way watchers to fill my battle line. Thoughts? 

I've taken these and they aren't great. They are extremely easy to kill and the damage is unreliable. Taking Judicators as battleline (especially in a non-Stormcast army) is worse.

12 minutes ago, Nico said:

I've taken these and they aren't great. They are extremely easy to kill and the damage is unreliable. Taking Judicators as battleline (especially in a non-Stormcast army) is worse.

I feared as much. Over 24 points per model that is like a piece of glass can't be that good. Thank you! 

I was hoping that being min sized they could be ignored, and at worse case scenario its 80 points wiped out. 

Ideally I want to take 3 units of Glade Riders. Not necessarily because Glade Riders are so good on their own, but because when combined with the Waystone Pathfinder special deployment rule, when those tagged with the deployment rule are set up across or on the side of the table, glade riders should be able to avoid the enemy, take pop shots and re-group with my special deployment. 

But come on... why do i HAVE to take 8 which = 200 points per battle line slot min... not cool. 

Archived